advertisement

Best debut album ever?

The Allman Brothers Band - their self titled debut set the stage for everything that was to come from them. With a southern blues-rock jazz inspired sound, they laid down 7 songs that would remain mainstays of their live performances for decades.

The only other album that comes close, in my opinion, is Led Zeppelin 1.
Now that is an original response; they basically created a template for every blues rock band that still play the pub circuit to this day. It has become compulsory to play Stormy Monday. Unfortunately they didn't 'train on' but I do really like their debut & live at Fillmore east

Led Zeppelin I was a pretty good debut, as is Creedence Clearwater Revival's first, Talking Heads 1977, Television's Marquee Moon, The Smiths.

Do EPs count? REM Chronic Town and Pixies Come On Pilgrim were great debut EPs.

Black Sabbath 1. Maybe it’s self titled or something. Actually it doesn’t have anything on the sleeve from memory. It was totally kick ass for me anyway.

A good list there generally:) Never liked Jesus and Mary Chain... tried to but too much of a tuneless wall of noise for me I'm afraid. Public Enemy and DJ Shadow not really my cup of tea but good for that genre...

I may have to dig out Badly Drawn Boy now you've reminded me! Haven't played that in years and love it!

Am I the only one who will sometimes get sick of a favourite album through overplaying it and then for 8 years every time I see it some sort of pre-programmed selection autopilot kicks in and I think "nah I don't play that one cos I'm sick of it"... then one day you realise you haven't heard it for 8 years!? :confused:o_O
Yeah I tried to like Jesus n Mary Chain too coz of the cool name lol but sounded like a soft cock version of Sonic Youth to me.

To many to mention, there's loads of first albums out there that never followed up or surpassed.

For a variety of reasons, the correct answer is, of course, (as we had on page one) the Velvet Underground's. Though I appreciate is difficult to get a thread with 9 pages over three years :eek: if everyone said it.

I think I admire Velvet Underground more than I listen to them. Certainly not the best debut ever by any stretch.

advertisement

Back