advertisement

Best cheap MM cart?

Tigerjones

Bagpuss
A month or two ago I bought an Ortofon 2M Red which I am not very happy with. It sounds o.k. through the Sugden but rather screechy through the JVC.

I am now looking to replace this and I'm thinking of trying one of the new Goldring E3 or a Nagaoka MP 110.

Has anyone any experience of these or other recommendations at a similar price point?

Cheers
Patrick

Indeed it is, you may actually be surprised at how good it is

The downside is that the best tip you can get is elpitical and the range generally has fairly high downforce (3-4 g) but it is designed to go on the 1200/1210.

if it wasn't any good the DJ's wouldn't buy it. They are about as happy with vinyl misbehavior as we are! OTOH they are way more likely to abuse their cartridges so they will be built robustly which makes them cost a bit more.

The 1200 really wants an older school high compliance MM such as the offerings from Shure, ADC etc and generally not the same things as go well on typical higher mass audiophile arms designed to be MC compatible.

I was going to suggest a Goldring 1042 but then I saw how much they sell for nowadays. Blimey. I'm out of touch.

I was going to suggest a Goldring 1042 but then I saw how much they sell for nowadays. Blimey. I'm out of touch.

I had a 1042 until my daughter f****d it. Great cart and worked wonders with the Sugden but I just haven't got those sorts of pennies at the moment.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Try fitting a Blue stylus for a 2M Upgrade or PNP version for the SL1200
( MM version like a SPU plugs straight in)
I'm thinking of trying one of the new Goldring E3 or a Nagaoka MP 110.
Goldring just a re-bodied AT VM generator
MP110 excellent choice

2m-blue-pnp-mkii.jpg

Don't know re you arm compliance but that aside...

Haven't heard the Nag 110, but have the 150 and 200 and they're superb. If buying blind in that budget it would probably be my choice.

I also really like the Denon DL-110. It needs a higher gain MM stage IME (min 40 dB to get going, best high 40s), but it's got a nice clear 'musical' delivery.

Try fitting a Blue stylus for a 2M Upgrade or PNP version for the SL1200
( MM version like a SPU plugs straight in)
I'm thinking of trying one of the new Goldring E3 or a Nagaoka MP 110.
Goldring just a re-bodied AT VM generator
MP110 excellent choice

2m-blue-pnp-mkii.jpg

I think the plug and play needs more mass on the tonearm due to their weight? Given my disappointment with the red I don't think this is an option.

Haven't heard the Nag 110, but have the 150 and 200 and they're superb. If buying blind in that budget it would probably be my choice.
I'm leaning this way.

I also really like the Denon DL-110. It needs a higher gain MM stage IME (min 40 dB to get going, best high 40s), but it's got a nice clear 'musical' delivery.
Me too although they also seem very expensive these days. Great all round cart is the Denon 110.

advertisement

Back