advertisement

Best bit of Equipment you ended up buying Twice

greygoose

pfm Member
Is there any bits of equipment you loved so much you had to buy a replacement unit just in case or parted with it only to realise you could not live without it.
(Divorced wives not applicable.......)

Dahlquist DQ-10's, twice.
original Quad ESL's, three times.
Spendor SP1/2's, twice.
LS3/5a - too many times to count.
Magnepan MG12 - twice.

Naim Nait XS once
Naim Nait XS2 two times
Naim Nait XS 2 three times
Harbeth SHL5 two times
Harbeth SHL5 three times
T+A PA 1530 R three times (wouldn't buy it again)
Rega Brio R three times
Audiolab MDAC three times
Klipsch Cornwall III two times

LP12 twice and Xerxes twice.

Funnily enough I picked up a second Pioneer PL71 today.

Focal Solo 6 active studio monitors - they are from focals professional range but sound fantastic in a Hifi setting, have seen off all kinds of things! An undiscovered Hifi gem in my opinion

I currently have two Quad 303s and two Leak Stereo 20s, one of each in use, the other a spare/investment/potential donor unit. I’ve also got almost enough parts to build another TD-124! I have four SME 3009s too, but three of them are just investments really (they do far better than savings in the bank!).

I’ve revisited quite a lot of kit over the years and doing so has unquestionably helped me decide what I want from audio, and perhaps more importantly, what I don’t. It took me quite a long time to grasp that I just don’t like many of the directions audio has taken since I first took a real interest in the late ‘70s and it has been very useful sticking stuff I loved decades ago back in the system and realising I still feel the same. My long-term audio memory seems refreshingly accurate!

The thing that makes me laugh is how little I’ve actually moved in four decades. I’ve kind of gone full-circle. As many here know I revisited JR149s, my first ever proper hi-fi speaker. This ended up being quite a project and involved extensively rebuilding a pair, really only retaining the cab and crossover board, but once done they are even better than I remember. I could very happily run these as my main system speakers and actually listen to them at least as often as the huge Lockwood Tannoys downstairs. One thing one always has to do when revisiting old stuff is to be absolutely sure it is working exactly as it should otherwise there really is no point.

Leak Stereo 20. mind you "buying" would be stretching it as a description of my route to ownership... £20 for first one then given a box of bits which was once a St20 to reassemble.... into a new and less scratched chassis.

Armstrong 621 amplifiers. I've had four of them. I currently have two, one being spare parts, and I think also three each of 623 and 624 tuners. None of that lot are in use at the moment, but a 523 tuner is connected to the system (along with an Emerson, a Sony, and a freeview box - I do like radio).

I’ve bought a Technics SL-P1200 and a Technics RS-9900 cassette deck twice. I haven’t got either any more so there’s every chance there’ll be a third of one of them...

advertisement

Back