advertisement

Beresford DAC opinions

I have had three Beresford dac's and messed around with upgrades to caps and parts. I think that there has been genuine improvements along the way, especially changing to battery power and the firmware upgrade to suit the battery.
It has not been an expensive upgrade path because there is a ready second hand market for all his products. They are just really good value.

Retro-fitable upgrades for customers arising from ongoing product development - what a ludicrous idea!

Off to the tip with my Beresford DAC and my LP12 I think!

I suggest you do the same with your "upgradable" IQAudio thingy Mr whatsnext.

Must now get back to checking the SQ differences between those cables.

All the best.

Why go to the tip? My LP12 is boringly untweaked and still sounds pleasurable. If you dont like either just give them away someone will welcome them.

Thanks for your suggestion and fascinating posting skills

The involvement in continual improvement can be satisfying to some. How did you rate the previous version?

I am sure I have read that innumerable times. Great promotional post.

Or, just my genuine experience. I find it rather frustrating that people go through life with prejudged jaundiced views. I would rather be honest and say what I think.

Or, just my genuine experience. I find it rather frustrating that people go through life with prejudged jaundiced views. I would rather be honest and say what I think.

As you do repeatedly. I was referring to others than just you.

You should let your frustration out. Weren't you telling me to chill?

Why go to the tip? My LP12 is boringly untweaked and still sounds pleasurable. If you dont like either just give them away someone will welcome them.

Thanks for your suggestion and fascinating posting skills

The involvement in continual improvement can be satisfying to some. How did you rate the previous version?

I am delighted that you recognise my rapier wit and subtle sarcasm.

Perfectly happy with Beresford and LP12 thanks. The odd tweak from time to time is part of the fun of course. I will be interested to audition the upgrade chip for the Beresford and then will find out how I rate the before and after. Equally I was happy to change from Valhalla to Lingo 1 and then to Lingo 3 with the LP12.

Your positive and constructive post just reminded me of another fellow who chose to contribute to an enjoyable thread about favourite prog albums saying that prog was s*#t. The wonders of free speech in this modern world!

I went from a NOS arcam alpha 5 to a sudio standard sound card on my pc.never happy untill i got my first beresford and now a gatorised caimen. I wont go back to CD.
Rgds
Stuart

Had a BM II, added an Ankaka battery - nice sound
Upgraded to a Caiman last year and pleasantly surprised even with the Caiman brand new
Added Stan's mod a couple of months back. Very good
I have his latest on the way.

For this amount of money I'm delighted. As this is in the office I'm not spending big money

I have a Caiman with Gator board mod, I'm not going to be much help here I suspect as I've never heard anything better so far, what I can say is it's much better than the cheap ones off ebay and a Breeze audio usb dac, in fact it completely slays them and does an Irish jig on their grave.
I've also just gone from using the Caiman as a dac only into a KT88 valve amp to using the Caiman as dac and pre-amp with a 100w Mosfet power amp, and wow.

Got the latest Bushmaster II Firmware Chip upgrade this week and spent a most enjoyable afternoon listening.

For the £10 I sent to Stan for the postage and material costs I am highly delighted. Detail and stereo separation seems improved.

I love the fact that Stan seems to understand that the average user does not have thousands of pounds to chuck at this hobby :D:D:D

I bought a Beresford TC-7510 in 2007 and thought it was great value for money. It looked neat and did everything well.

I started thinking I would ditch my CD player, which at the time was a Naim CD5. I never got aound to it, but the Beresford showed me the sonic benefits of using Flacs and Apple Lossless files into a DAC.

I've still got the Beresford and will continue to use it until I go down the MDAC 2 route, but that won't be until John gets the tube version into production, if it's still happening.

I haven't got a clue whether the TC-7510 I have got is upgradeable. I'll have to ring up Stan to find out.

Jack

Seems but you are not sure:confused:

...well I have the Bushmaster II - with this DAC the upgrade involves unscrewing the lid of the DAC - removing the old firmware chip and inserting the new chip. So I have no way of directly comparing the old firmware with the new - I am going by memory. Some of the music I listened to yesterday was new to me (eg. Michael Hedges "Aerial Boundaries") - this sounded very good. Later in the evening I listened to some familiar material via the upgraded DAC and my Beresford Capella Headphone Amp on my HD650s. On the cans the difference was more pronounced - I am sure I was hearing little extra details and bass was firmer and the soundstage improved.

Meanwhile the lucky users of the Beresford Caiman II (which I would like to get in the future) who have the upgraded Firmware can actually select between the old and new Firmware on the fly by pressing a button on the DAC. Stan provided an extra button on the Caiman II for future use (which the Bushmaster does not have). In fact the Caiman II users can now select 4 different settings. Reports from the Caiman II users reveal distinct differences between the settings. Just to be clear this is not different digital filters as per the MDAC but actually different methods of Data Clock recovery selectable on the fly....

...a pretty remarkable upgrade for the cost of 3 pints of beer.

advertisement

Back