advertisement

Beovox RL60.2 or Tannoy T165 Chesters or ...?

hacker

Delicious and nutritious
With my recent move to European climes for a while, I'm hifi-less. This is a travesty. So I'm putting together a cheap-as-chips single source system and have been considering combining old technology with new.

So for amplification: A Tripath T-Amp with built-in USB DAC for use with my laptop. That'll give me around 15W per channel. I can get one for about $90 delivered to my door. It really needs to paired with some high sensitivity speakers...

Speakers: classics. I've got a chance on some Beovox RL60.2 (93dB) and, maybe, a pair or Tannoy T165 Chesters (90dB). Does anyone have experience/opinions/advice regarding these speakers? I'm buying first, listening later, so all advice is welcome :)

I'm also open to suggestions on reasonably sized speakers. To maintain high sensitivity I'd like to stick with at least 8" drivers, or like the Beovox, a pair of 6". I need to keep them wife- and small apartment-friendly.

Cheers,
Carl

^ Tannoy T165, no
contest, especially
when you build a
proper enclosure
for the 12" Dual
Concentric drivers.

Have loads o' fun. :)

As you may have gathered from my username, I am a B&O fan and I beliie they have made some excellent loudspeakers over the years.

The RL60s, however, weren't one of them. Stick to the Tannoys........

advertisement

Back