advertisement

Benefits of replacment cables

Caliente

pfm Member
This week I obtained a 3m QED extension cable, and interestingly have noticed that this has provided a more expansive sound and deeper bass - I know this may be something of an illusion, but it is certainly the impression gained by this addition.

It got me thinking as to whether you would get much improvement to the stock Senn cables, in my example HD 58X Jubillee after noticing a number of replacement cables on ebay for the various 500 and 600 series - I have noticed some priced as low as £8.90, yet the reviews citing that they provided an improvement. Naturally there are also more expensive ones in the £30-£40 region, but would I notice a real improvement?

Yes… they’re a guy on eBay who makes them up from van Damn silver plated copper microphone cable at about £30. Nicely made and better than stock

I use the Van Damme cables, but haven’t A/B’ed them as yet. It was more vanity, as the cables they came with were a bit tatty, and let the actual ‘phone’s down a bit.

Really should get round to making a comparison.

Grado thinks they do as the cable changes as you move up (in thickness/strands rather than material). Sennheiser doesn't seem to.

I have no idea. In my Hifi systems cables do make a small difference so I guess the same will apply to headphones but at the same time I'd say EQ'ing a HP even very slightly will make a bigger difference.

Thanks @hifi-dog . I've ordered a set for my HD650, although I managed to royally screw up by clicking straight though on your link above......oops. So cancellation requested and new order placed for the correct cable. Hopefully, Graham will link up the two orders and realise what I've done!

Just put it down to Old Age & Stupidity!!

I've just ordered a shorter, copper cable for my Sennheiser HD 600.
Cheap as chips @ £7 delivered. :)

I had my AKG K1000 rewired with Stefan Audio Arts Equinox cables. Not an easy job according to the guy who did it. A few years ago now though.

I also had the Cardas replacement cables for the HD600s.

Thanks @hifi-dog . I've ordered a cable for my HD650 from east535

Graham did indeed sort out my ordering c0ck-up, and the correct cable arrived today. Can’t fault it so far :D. Sounded very very good on my one test, using a couple of track from the Qobuz 24-96 download of the “The Complete Doors”, running through the Naim system.

Well pleased..

advertisement

Back