Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bempton cliffs

Discussion in 'photo' started by ron, May 2, 2021.

1. ron

ron Tweaker

Spent Sunday morning at Bempton Cliffs hoping to get some shots of the Puffins, the weather wasn't pleasant being very windy and cold, the Rayauds in my hands was giving me grief .
    All shots cropped some much heavier than others , Sony A1 200-600. I tried to use not too fast shutter speed to give the wings a little blur .

[​IMG]Puffin1 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]Puffin2 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]Puffin3 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]Puffin4 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]Puffin5 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]Puffin6 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]Puffin6 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]Puffin by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]Puffin by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

2. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

Amazing shots!

ron likes this.
  3. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

Brilliant pictures
    do you know what the lighter circles on the bottom right side of a couple of the pictures. I sometimes get this effect as well.

ron likes this.
  4. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Incredible!:eek:

Amazing detail.:)

ron likes this.
  5. ron

ron Tweaker

Thank you

Tarzan likes this.
  6. ron

ron Tweaker

Thanks, maybe specular highlights ? I've seen it with many zoom lenses especially with water backgrounds

7. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

Those circular features look like mild lens flare to me. They are so subtle I don’t think they detract from the images at all. I would normally expect that type of flare effect if the front element is catching some direct light from the sun, but it looks like the sun was behind your back. Did you have a lens hood on?

ron and Derek Wright like this.
  8. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Flare from water droplets closer than the focus point.

Derek Wright likes this.
  9. ron

ron Tweaker

I always use the lens hood , with the damp cold wind blowing hard against me and the wet birds it probably is flare from water droplets

andrewd likes this.
  10. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

I have hundreds of kitesurfing photos with them, always when it's windy, especially an updraft or shore break.

ron likes this.
  11. stevied

stevied über wagonista

Lovely shots of the puffins, Ron!

Don't know why, but they kind of remind me of a BAE 146 coming in on approach : )

ron likes this.
  12. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Agree with that sentiment!

Having seen the 146s under test nr Cranfield as a small kid/v early 80s/fam friend as a test pilot - I think the similarity is short/deep wing profile and wide stance of undercarriage; also efficient if short/rounded fuselage & plenty of engine power: the little 4-engine STOl of british sea-fishing birds :D

ron and stevied like this.
  13. stevied

stevied über wagonista

Yep, definitely all that, @martin clark! Even down to the spread rear air brakes! :D

ron and martin clark like this.