advertisement

Behringer DEQ2496 for room correction

UKSwede

pfm Member
This has probably been discussed before,but I could not find the information

Anyway I have just purchased the DEQ 2496 with a view to correct room issues. I will use between the digital source and the DAC as I understand the analogue sections of the DEQ are nothing to write home about unless modified

To obtain the room data I was intending using XTZ room analyzer I have but struggling to get SW to install just now :( In addition I have ordered the ECM8000 mic to go with the DEQ and let the DEQ obtain the room data

Now to some questions to those who already use the device

1) Connections. Did you use optical or XLR with adapters if placed in the digital lineup. In my case between the Squeexebox and the DAC

2) For measurements. Did you use Stereolink or Dual Mono even is just used for bass only corrections

3) What are you findings before and after corrections and any good tips in getting good results. Audiosmile has already made available a great video for room correction as the manual is not the best. Many thanks to them :)

4) Sofware udates. Mine is V2.5 but could not find any updates as Behringer stated there should be some on the web sit. I guess maybe mine is up to date

Many thanks in advance

I use stereo-link for bass correction. The speakers interact at those low frequencies so you should consider them as one, IMO.

Yes, and it will be transparent if you use it solely in the digital domain and already have separate transport and DAC. Using optical cables you could even tuck it out of sight as it is not the most attractive kit. Out of sight out of mind.

I couldn't really afford the extra space that the unit plus dac, off board power supply for the DAC, cabling, etc etc. so I took another route in the end.

In my experience I would suggest don't boost and only cut with the unit and keep it to 100Hz or lower. My two cents,

cheers

Tim

yes, room treatment is dramatic.. it is the single biggest upgrade anyone one can make, anywhere, any time. Nothing else comes close.

HOWEVER

I find that Active correction is only good for surgically treating limited areas...and is used optimally when partnered with Absorption/Diffusion.

imo..not acceptable as a solo solution. From

http://www.realtraps.com/art_audyssey.htm
The limitations of room EQ are described in great detail in the article linked above, but the three main ones are:

1. The response in a room changes drastically over very small distances, so any correction that helps one location will not help elsewhere and will likely make the response even worse. The frequency response in most rooms is so highly localized it's not even possible for EQ to correct the response for both ears at the same time.

2. Modal ringing - an extended decay at some, but not all, bass frequencies - is just as damaging as a skewed low frequency response, and EQ cannot reduce ringing. Only bass traps can reduce ringing. Some EQ proponents claim that in theory EQ can reduce ringing, but I have never seen this proven in practice over a usably large area.

3. Nulls in a room are at least as damaging as peaks, and EQ cannot improve nulls by much if at all. Applying enough EQ boost to counter a typical null that's 20 to 30 dB deep will just overload your power amp and likely blow up your loudspeakers.

yes, room treatment is dramatic.. it is the single biggest upgrade anyone one can make, anywhere, any time. Nothing else comes close.

HOWEVER

I find that Active correction is only good for surgically treating limited areas...and is used optimally when partnered with Absorption/Diffusion.

imo..not acceptable as a solo solution. From

http://www.realtraps.com/art_audyssey.htm
The limitations of room EQ are described in great detail in the article linked above, but the three main ones are:

1. The response in a room changes drastically over very small distances, so any correction that helps one location will not help elsewhere and will likely make the response even worse. The frequency response in most rooms is so highly localized it's not even possible for EQ to correct the response for both ears at the same time.

2. Modal ringing - an extended decay at some, but not all, bass frequencies - is just as damaging as a skewed low frequency response, and EQ cannot reduce ringing. Only bass traps can reduce ringing. Some EQ proponents claim that in theory EQ can reduce ringing, but I have never seen this proven in practice over a usably large area.

3. Nulls in a room are at least as damaging as peaks, and EQ cannot improve nulls by much if at all. Applying enough EQ boost to counter a typical null that's 20 to 30 dB deep will just overload your power amp and likely blow up your loudspeakers.

Very sensible advice!

It's the reason I use my DEQ to equalise the 'speakers flat pseudo-anechoically and NOT use it to correct for the room. The room is acoustically treated to get rid of flutter-echoes and to provide a sensible RT60, but I want the room to sound decent first, so that everyday speech and domestic sounds seem normal, then for the loudspeakers to work as flat as possible so they sound as close to "normal" as is possible. The best test I've found is speech, as we all know when speech sounds artificial.

Bass nulls and peaks, if severe, can be EQed separately, and with my previous Meridians I found it helpful, with my current B&Ws, I haven't. As to filling nulls, yes, 20dB is asking a lot, but depending on how much headroom is available, 10dB isn't impossible, and can be helpful, as it was with my Meridians. To get all this right, or at least, optimised to the extent possible, does require an analytical approach, measuring outputs, calculating headroom and being sure one's doing what one thinks one's doing. A "by ear" approach I can see resulting in problems.

S.

I keep the bass boost in my system to 9dB ,it still makes a huge difference ,it is about getting your room to sound the best it can IMHO of course.
Keith.

These views sound reasonable that it is not the total fix, but I think DEQ on its own to start with could treat frequency response deviations. The cost of the unit is only 200 quid which is far less than some of the other upgrades one may try first

No harm in giving it a try!!

The other thing to consider that many of our hifis are in the living room and how many partners will accept the cosmetic impacts to the living room by inserting Real Traps

advertisement

Back