advertisement

Beginners guide to Boogie Woogie & Rag Time Jazz

johnacurtis

pfm Member
Sorry if this has already been done!
Can anyone tell me where to begin with finding great albums to listen to?
I normally listen to rock, prog rock and blues, but fancy branching out into new areas!
Who would you suggest I listen to, to give a good "flavour" of these types of music?

Start here :)
MilesDavisKindofBlue.jpg

So far for me, I have enjoyed listening to some Albert Ammons, James Booker, but certainly my favourite is Professor longhair! Really enjoying some of his, but not sure whether to get some vinyl or cd, as the anthology album seems very expensive!

Professor Longhair at his best (Tipitina and a couple of others) is hard to beat. I love his slow roll dragging the beat style. Trouble is his best is quite a bit better than his rest.

As for other Boogie Woogie I find it rather tends to the samey, if you've heard one Albert Ammons side you've kind of heard them all. Dr John is probably over rated and nowhere reaches as high as Prof Longhairs best. But he's more New Orleans jazz blues anyway.

Generally like more than a few other genres of jazz pure Boogie Woogie seems to quite quickly get to a place where technical virtuosity is served up as a substitute for any real musical creativity.

Still on the bright side at least no-one suggested Jules Holland :)

PS Fats Domino - although not really Boogie Woogie either - has a touch of the Professor Longhair about him and wider repertoire of good songs.

advertisement

Back