advertisement

Beggars Belief

mikechadwick

pfm Member
I contacted a seller on eBay about an LP I was interested in. The description was "used" and I wanted some clarity as to the actual condition.Here's the reply:
"Album condition is like in photos. Here is a recording of the album using my crappy portable record player (please ignore the hum that’s the record player not the record). Hopefully this will give you a better idea of condition. Let me know if you want anything specific."
Needless to say I won't be buying this item!

Some people who own vinyl probably have no clue as to standard grading techniques. I'd have to count myself in that camp, to be honest, though I'd try to give an honest appraisal of the condition. The response seems odd, clearly, but probably well-meaning. They may have gone to a bit of trouble to create it.

Some people who own vinyl probably have no clue as to standard grading techniques. I'd have to count myself in that camp, to be honest, though I'd try to give an honest appraisal of the condition. The response seems odd, clearly, but probably well-meaning. They may have gone to a bit of trouble to create it.
I've never heard of any standard grading techniques for used vinyl. Could you explain them please.

I have had a lot of nonsense along these lines. I don't expect people selling vinyl that's been given/left to them to provide a proper grading, that's unrealistic but I do get fed up when people are obviously selling vinyl day in day out and provide nothing more than its used as a description. When you then go to the trouble of asking for more info all you get back, if anything is a variation on the "its used mate" theme. Needless to say I never ever buy from them but clearly other people must because they continue to do it.
Another ebay oddity is people who sell you an LP, there's a problem with it and you request a refund, they give you a refund straight away, no hassle but then you contact them to sort out a return on an expensive LP and they say they don't want it back or even odder don't even reply. In more than one case I have explained at length the LP would probably play ok for someone with a basic turn table and cartridge, unfortunately my Rega P8 and Apheta 3 cartridge are the wrong side of fussy and the Apheta3 can stick in a groove where I cannot for the life of me see any reason for its sticking. If its a really expensive item and they don't want it back I still send it back at my own expense because it doesn't feel right keeping it.

One thing that cracks me up is sellers who lay the record on the carpet to take pictures :0(

I mailed one seller and said 'Listen mate, nobody who knows anything about vinyl is buying a record that's been laid on the carpet. You might as well empty your hoover bag over it!'

He didn't reply.

advertisement

Back