advertisement

Beethoven Piano Sonata Cycle Journal (Redux)

Terrific information Todd.

A couple of questions- did you ever do write ups for Backhaus stereo and Kempff mono? I recently compared Backhaus mono and stereo (using the Japan 90s box set for the mono and Original Masters stereo box) and certainly preferred the mono as well.

With regard to Russell Sherman do you have his box set compiled by GM or the individual CD volumes? If you have a combination of both can you tell me if there are additional liner notes in the box or is it just the ones reproduced from the individual CD volumes? I've seen him live in a local festival here and liked him when seeing him live.

Andrea Lucchesini has been in my heavy listening recently. I hear quite a bit of power in his playing, not to the extent of Annie Fischer, but it does have its moments of muscularity when the score calls for it, for instance in the Adagio of Op. 2/3. Yet at the same time he is wonderfully poetic and lyrical. I understand why this cycle is well loved by many people, certainly will be making my personal reference list. Absolutely wonderful recording quality as well.

Terrific information Todd.
A couple of questions- did you ever do write ups for Backhaus stereo and Kempff mono?

No, I never wrote those two up. Since I'm currently out of new cycles to buy, unless one of the long OOP ones pops up, I might end up revisiting one of them and giving it the once over.

With regard to Russell Sherman do you have his box set compiled by GM or the individual CD volumes?

The box is a heavy cardboard slipcase for the five standard two disc sets. His playing style in Beethoven and other fare indicates he may be even better live.

Andrea Lucchesini has been in my heavy listening recently.

Lucchesini is really an underappreciated, under-recorded artist. I get the impression that the latter is by choice. The only less than excellent recording I've heard from him is his Brahms First Piano Concerto, but part of that is the live performance, recording, and band. Everything else has been superb, even his Berio. His new themed disc (Scarlatti, Berio, Schubert, and Widmann) is a rare mixed period, mixed rep, mixed style success. He had mentioned in an interview a few years ago that he would like to revisit Beethoven on a period instrument. I'd love to hear that.

617oPiY%2BO8L._SY425_.jpg

Disc two. Four famous sonatas and some Bach. The sonatas are all on the fast, unsentimental side. (The Moonlight Sonata is decidedly unsentimental, to superb effect.) All of the sonatas sound deadly serious, with Backhaus' younger but not youthful fingers working magic basically equivalent to what he did with the concertos on disc one. The highlight is Op 111. The opening movement is one of the most electric, ferocious versions I've heard, with Backhaus pushing through at sometimes breakneck speed. The second movement is played very swiftly, too, stripping the music of some of its transcendent sound, instead infusing it with something more immediate and intense. And dig that flattened boogie-woogie variation and those "little stars" that transform into a souped-up Perseid meteor shower.

It sure seems like either younger Kempff or Backhaus could have delivered a superior 78s era cycle to Schnabel had they been given the opportunity. The Bach extras are nifty, too.

Now, when will Decca do an international release of the Backhaus Edition like the Japanese got years ago?

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GW3PMG1/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi Todd,

Came across this great thread and your comprehensive reviews and views about Beethoven complete sonatas recorded cycles.
Highly appreciated!

Regarding early Backhaus (pre-war) and mono Backhaus and Kempff - it seems to me, that at times, they just play fast just because "they can".
They are indeed, from a different era and therefore, for me, one who grew on Pollini, Brendel, Kovacevich and such it's difficult to grasp and to appreciate these performances.
As a counter example, Solomon, who (AFAIK) did not recording the complete cycle, does play at much slower tempos, and, for me, is actually a top-tier performer (especially in the "Hammerklavier" op. 106).

I have began listening to the Annie Fischer cycle, as I am not familiar with it, and indeed it seems to be very special indeed - thanks!

Looking forward for your next reviews.

817JgDxUfCL._SX425_.jpg

Disc one. Some great early Beethoven. The set opens with one of the best ever recordings of Op 2/2. Playful and youthful sounding, with a Rondo that almost sounds grazioso to fault. Almost. There's an improvisational air about the playing in the movement, and really the whole sonata. This is young-ish Kempff captured live, basically, after all. The two Op 14 sonatas follow, and it's hard to decide which is better. Both rate with the best, and Kempff's light touch never falters. Op 22 might benefit from a bit more drive. Or not. One has to sort of listen through the noise to get to the music, but that's easy and the rewards are outsized.

Disc two. More great early Beethoven. Op 7, like 2/2, ends up being one of the greats. The opening movement is light and bouncy, with Kempff tossing in rubato rather liberally, and while the Largo is slow and a bit solemn, it's not too heavy for this early work, and the Allegro and Rondo bounce along nicely. And while not the last word in superhuman virtuosity, mid-40s Kempff's chops are fine. The Op 10 trio has a predictable set of strengths and not so strong points. (There are no real weaknesses.) The not so strong points include opening ascending arpeggios in 10/1 that are a bit slower than I prefer, and a less than ideally intense climax in the Largo of 10/3, though part of that is due to the ancient recording. The exclusion of the 10/2 Prestissimo repeat is a recording choice I wish would not have been made. The rest of the playing is all top shelf, with an adroit mix of lightness, fun, drive, nice articulation, and a less dramatic and always flowing sound. One could describe it as easy listening Beethoven, but it's too natural sounding for that. Yep, it's sweet, sweet stuff.

Disc three. The disc opens with one of at least nine extant recordings of Op 13 by the pianist, here from 1940. (I'll have to scrounge around my collection, but I think I have six of them.) This one is lighter and swifter and more agile than the later studio sets. Kempff does do the slower than normal opening movement followed by a slightly quick slow movement, though the closing Rondo is quick and energetic. Nice. Op 26 follows, and Kempff delivers a well-nigh perfect Andante and variations. Here Kempff plays quick movement on the quicker side and slow movement on the slower side. Were the Allegro molto just a both tighter and quicker, it would be perfecter yet, so it stays on the same level. The funeral march is sensibly placed and could use broader dynamics, but that is again down to the recording, and the Allegro is swell. Der Mondschein is exceptionally good. A not too slow but atmospheric Adagio sostenuto, a perfectly paced Allegretto, and a vibrant Presto agitato make one wish that Kempff would have been able to record to tape at the time. The disc closes with Op 53. Kempff plays the Allegro con brio with ample brio, though there are a few rough patches. The playing is easily good enough so that it doesn't matter. The Introduzione offers a serious respite before the vigorous enough Rondo. This is probably the best of the versions I've heard from Kempff, but there are at least other earlier versions I've not heard. It might be difficult to remedy that.

Disc four. The disc opens with 27/1. The work suits Kempff's temperament, and here even better than in later recordings. The opening movement is generally light, swift, and whimsical. Kempff seems to be happily dashing it off. That sense becomes even more pronounced in the Allegro molto e vivace. The Adagio is uncommonly serene and lovely taking on late-middle-Beethoven qualities, and the concluding Allegro vivace, while a bit rough in spots, has the spirit completely right. Another great recording. Kempff has always rated among my very favorites for the Pastorale, and so it goes here. Kempff is again a bit swifter here than in later readings in the Allegro, and he generates some intensity in the forte passages. The Andante has a bit of tension, but it also shows Kempff at his most playful. It's really quite filled with delights. The Scherzo sounds almost 31/3 scherzo-like in spirit. Kempff then delivers a Rondo that flows along wonderfully, capping off another great reading from him. He comes close to owning the work. Op 31/3 follows. Kempff sounds quite playful in the Allegro, and the transfer includes a higher than normal degree of reverb, something I don't typically associate with 78s. The Scherzo is more playful yet, and the Menuetto is at times unexpectedly forceful, and the Presto con fuoco is good fun. Superb. As assuredly as Kempff has always been one of my favorite interpreters of Op 28, he has never been a favorite in Op 57, which closes out the set. Younger Kempff fares better than older Kempff. While not up to the best in terms of speed or power or accuracy, here Kempff delivers satisfying levels of all desirable traits. This carries over to the Andante con moto. The finale, while having the requisite drive and drama, is a bit too strained and slip prone to make for an all-time favorite recoding, though it demonstrates that Kempff could deliver more oomph at times.

Overall, the 24 78s era sonatas available in the two APR sets represent some extremely fine Beethoven playing. Had Kempff completed a cycle, it would likely be his best overall. It would also likely best Schnabel's pioneering effort, though such a statement can't be made since eight glorious sonatas were not recorded. (On the evidence of his four pre-war sonata recordings, Wilhelm Backhaus may have been able to deliver something even better.) As it is, this is top tier LvB. I probably should have bought it sooner.

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0767Q9DVB/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
51T3lWcan%2BL._SX250_.jpg
71ywj2qWCrL._SS250_.jpg

61IRc3HoH6L._SY250_.jpg
61Crso%2B3KkL._SY250_.jpg

I've not done a proper shootout for a while, so why not do so with four new to me versions of the last three sonatas of old Ludwig van. I just picked up the Osborne, and I had sort of forgotten about the other three, which I picked up at the start of the year.

Op 109

Siirala - Fast in both the opening movement and Prestissimo, with nice left hand accents in the opening movement. The final theme and variations also sounds speedy and a bit congested in a few places, with the fifth variation a bit rough, perhaps. Less transcendent and more direct.

le Sage - More measured, but hardly slow in the opening movement. More nuanced, with greater dynamic variation and a smoother sound. The Prestissimo is quick and more varied than Siirala. The final theme and variations is slightly swifter overall, but le Sage mixes tempi and style more, and achieves a more transcendent, late-LvB sound. He really takes care to play with no little beauty. I had middling expectations going in, and man, they were surpassed.

Tharaud - Fast, clean, light and perhaps a bit too elegant in the opener. There's less bite to the accents than either of the two prior versions. The Prestissimo whizzes by, with admirable clarity, but not enough weight. The theme and variations is serene, beautiful, poised, well played, and boring, especially when he plays slow for effect. The movement kind of meanders. Whiff.

Osborne - Quick, but not too quick, to open. A brighter sound than the others, but it's just about right. Some accenting verges on the too hard and metallic, but never gets there. Clean playing. Near perfect dynamics. The Prestissimo is fast and fierce, but not rushed, with Osborne varying more widely in tempo than the others. The loudest passages do become strident, but not ugly. He starts the last movement with an Andante theme that is perfectly paced, beautiful, and of the transcendent variety, which then goes further in that direction as the movement progresses, promising good things for 111. Osborne's loudest playing again veers toward the hard, but he manages to keep the right sound and feel, and the coda is serene and all late LvB goodness.

Osborne and le Sage essentially tie in this one. Color me surprised.

Op 110

Siirala - Siirala opts for a moderately timed opening movement, but that masks some significant tempo variations. While he certainly generates an at times lovely sound and never just rushes, the speed and style saps a bit of the late LvB magic. The Allegro molto is paced just right, and the left hand playing is delightful but dynamic contrasts don't excite. Siirala opens the final movement with a solemn and lovely recitative and arioso that takes on the late LvB sound I like. Tempo choice are just right, and dynamic contrasts to start are just nifty. Much of the rest of the movement doesn't really live up this, with rather weak repeated chords, for instance, but the inverted fugue is just magnificent. Sort of a mixed bag take overall.

le Sage - le Sage goes for a quicker overall first movement. His tempo shifts are basically flawless, and he generates a sound elevated, lovely, and fleet in perfect proportions. The pianist then dashes off the Allegro molto and something closer to a Presto tempo, with superb dynamic contrasts and clarity. It's middle period Beethoven brought forward, and it works splendidly. le Sage keeps with a similar approach in the opening sections of the last movement, and in the fugue, he plays quick but with a rounded tone, generating more tension than expected, and then returns to a tenser second arioso. After nice repeated chords and an even nicer transition to the inverted fugue, le Sage plays with some urgency before ending with a potent coda. A superb version.

Tharaud - Tharaud's overall timing is close to Siirala, and he plays more elegantly, but sort of more surface-y. Indeed, the entire movement is quite beautiful, with each section wonderfully played, but something goes missing. In the Allegro molto, Tharaud starts off slow and quasi-heavy, to ill effect. The entire movement sounds held back. In the final movement, Tharaud plays the ariosos beautifully, with an uncommonly potent transition to the second one, and while the fugues are clear and the repeated chords before the second one are potent, and everything sounds tidy, the playing seems to miss the spirit of the music. Bummer.

Osborne - Osborne opens with the slowest opening movement of the bunch. It manages to sound more transcendent than the rest and more beautiful in the quieter passages. Osborne's piano sounds brighter at mezzo forte and above, which is no problem, especially when the playing truly sounds so truly cantabile. Osborne's meticulous control over dynamics yields uncommonly effective forte playing near the end, and it also makes the fast Allegro molto more jolting when it arrives, with forte accents looking forward to the opening movement of Op 111. Osborne then starts the last movement with a transcendent recitative which segues into an even more transcendent arioso. Buried in the mix, or not so buried, really, are micro-dynamic variations of the most ear-catching variety. The fugue starts off all light and clean, the builds up in tension and power before quickly receding back to the second arioso, which this time sounds more solemn. The repeated chords build up masterfully, from a near silent whisper to a not quite thundering forte, but the tradeoff here is a transition to the inverted fugue that is crazy good. The tempo picks up considerably, going from very slow to nearly dizzyingly fast, resulting in an exceptionally fine coda. Hot damn!

Osborne by a country mile, in one of the great recordings of the piece. le Sage, well, he again vastly exceeded my expectations.

Op 111

Siirala - A dark, strong Maestoso transitions via nice 'n' rumbly left hand notes to an Allegro of somewhat measured tempo some of the time, and nifty speed where it counts, with even niftier sforzandi. The movement is well put together. The Arietta sounds processional and serious to start, but not especially transcendent. Siirala then plays the second half slower and injects some serenity into the mix. He seems to lighten the interpretive burden, as it were, when he moves into the first variation, which sounds simultaneously middle and late Beethoven. The second variation sounds snappier, and the third is zippy but not really boogie woogie. As he moves into the late variations, the playing doesn't sound particularly transcendent, but it is supremely well executed. The "little stars" sound quite lovely, and Siirala knows how to play trills, displaying enviable evenness, and his left hand playing sounds extremely fine and weighty without being overbearing. The final chain of trills display extremely fine dynamic variation between voices. An excellent rendition, if not a Top 20 choice. The disc as a whole is quite good. I would not object if Mr Siirala opted to record the cycle.

le Sage - The Maestoso sounds brighter and more oriented toward the right hand, and it also assume a more elevated air than Siirala. The Allegro has more left hand heft, and le Sage's quicker overall tempo generates more energy and drive. It manages to sound lighter and deeper at once. In the second movement, le Sage takes a slower overall tempo, and he starts with a slow, somber, processional, and transcendent Arietta. Not content with the slow tempo of the first half, le Sage slows things down even more in the second half, doing the time suspension thing, and then the first variation very slowly emerges after a masterfully handled note by note transition. The tempo picks up markedly, but not in an exaggerated way, in the bouncier second variation, and the boogie woogie variation has sufficient boogie and ample woogie. le Sage then performs a quick transition to more a transcendent sound, initially underpinned by a steady but not obtrusive left hand. His "little stars" are slow and accented in such a way as to result in a stiff but mightily effective sound. Nice. le Sage picks up the tempo a bit afterward, and while some of the louder music has real oomph, he delivers the most bestest playing at the quieter end of the spectrum, even when, or especially when, the dynamic levels vary. His trills are quite fine, if not as even as Siirala's, and the effect is much more satisfying. The only complaint comes with the coda, which ends up sounding fairly blunt, though still elevated. Overall, this is an extremely fine performance, one suitable for shoot outs with Big Names, and the disc simply smooshed my expectations going in. I almost think I should write Mr le Sage a letter demanding that he record the rest of the sonatas.

Tharaud - Tharaud starts the Maestoso in punchy fashion, with the close and somewhat dynamically compressed recording* amplifying the effect. Tharaud's tempi are nicely selected in the Allegro, being neither too fast, nor too slow, but drama, bite, sting, energy, etc, are not up to snuff. Even the boldest sforzandi don't really satisfy. It's not an enervated recording, it's just not particularly good. The Arietta is slow and well done, and the first two variations are pretty nice. The third variation is played very swiftly, too swiftly, and lacks the kind of rhythmic sensibility I prefer. The rest of the movement is played very swiftly, more swiftly than I like in some places, and Tharaud adopts an annoying mannerism playing some repeated notes much louder than the gentle surrounding figurations, completely altering the balance of the music. It's unique, and some people may like, but it misses for me. The chains of trills are well played but too rushed. Pretty much everything misses for me. (* I purchased the 24/96 download of the Tharaud, and it's sound, while very good, isn't the best among this batch, let alone in a broader context.)

Osborne - Osborne launches right into the Maestoso, with his hard-hitting, steely forte belted out aggressively. He backs off a bit, then rips right back into the piece in one of the more aggressive takes I've heard. Not all is steel and bite, but a lot is, and it's invigorating. Osborne also sees no need to dally as he brings the movement in at a tight 8'24". Osborne then starts off with a brisk Arietta, with some nice bass underpinning - not too much, and definitely not too little. He manages to make the music have that late-LvB sound I like while going a bit quick. He then imperceptibly shifts to a slower second half, which sounds more elevated yet. The variations start off with a first variation that is almost optimally transcendent while also forward moving and ever so slightly swifter than I would typically prefer. Ditto the second variation. The third variation is fast and jagged and has some of the fierceness of the opening movement. Nice. Afterward, the piece transitions into transcendent LvB, with gentle yet brilliant "little stars", often lovely tone, a often flowing sound, though one where Osborne knows when to emphasize a left hand arpeggio just so, or up the volume just the right amount. The chains of trills vary a bit, often sounding soft and gentle, but not always, and some left hand notes get delivered with a bit more emphasis, though nothing like what Tharaud does. The harder hitting, brighter playing returns as Osborne ratchets up the tension expertly right up until the final chain of trills, which almost becomes part of an extended coda, coasting along musically until an Elysian end. Superb. I don't know if it's Top 10 superb, but Top 20 seems a sure bet. Maybe I need to do a months long comparison of all the 111s I own. Anyway, another grade A disc from Mr Osborne.

This shootout sort of confounded expectations. I had none for Siirala really, but I expected great things from Tharaud and ho-hum things from le Sage, but got exactly the opposite. I expected great things from Osborne and more or less got what I expected. A mixed bag overall, with two new really fine additions to my collection.

Amazon UK links:

Siirala: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0076JSOA6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

le Sage: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LEZP4VU/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Tharaud: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FVFL6F7/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Osborne: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NBDQXCW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

61ZxLI131xL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X27TZSY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

71%2B-ILvAGVL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WSZD7G1/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

71HiZEkf6lL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W8LJNQ1/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

71J8jrqfr2L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PHKPH5Q/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

61%2BrlUamj4L._SY425_.jpg

Not listed at Amazon UK yet.

With the upcoming Beethoven year, reissues and new cycles will flourish. I've already got my mitts on the two new cycles (Levit and Tirimo), and will grab the Say as soon as I can in January. That's sure to be something else. I can't wait to see what other surprises await.

In preparation for the upcoming Beethoven year, and having recently completed three more cycles, I decided to refresh my tiers so that I can make sure any new cycles that pop up in the next dozen or so months can be properly grouped into the most objective ratings system known to humanity.

Top Tier – The Holy Tetrarchy
Annie Fischer (Hungarton)
Friedrich Gulda (Amadeo)
Wilhelm Kempff (DG, mono)
Wilhelm Backhaus (mono)
[Rudolf Serkin; OK, he didn't complete a cycle, but this is where he belongs]

Top Tier – The Rest of the Top Ten (sort of in order)
Wilhelm Kempff (DG, stereo)
Eric Heidsieck
Russell Sherman
Andrea Lucchesini
Emil Gilels
Daniel-Ben Pienaar
[Sviatoslav Richter; OK, he didn't complete a cycle, but this is where he belongs]

Second Tier (in alphabetical order)
Artur Schnabel
Bernard Roberts
Claude Frank
Daniel Barenboim (EMI, 2005)
Eduardo del Pueyo
Francois Frederic Guy
Friedrich Gulda (Orfeo)
Kazune Shimizu (Sony)
Maurizio Pollini
Michael Levinas
Paul Badura-Skoda (JVC/Astree)
Peter Takacs
Robert Silverman
Rudolf Buchbinder (Unitel)
Seymour Lipkin
Takahiro Sonoda (Denon)
Takahiro Sonoda (Evica)
Wilhelm Backhaus (stereo)
Younwha Lee
Yu Kosuge
Yusuke Kikuchi
[Bruce Hungerford; OK, he didn't complete a cycle, but this is where he belongs]

Third Tier (in no alphabetical order)
Abdel Rahman El Bacha (Mirare)
Akiyoshi Sako
Alfred Brendel (Philips, 1970s)
Alfred Brendel (Vox)
Alfredo Perl
Andras Schiff
Claudio Arrau (1960s)
Claudio Arrau (1980s)
Craig Sheppard
Daniel Barenboim (DG)
Daniel Barenboim (EMI, 1960s)
David Allen Wehr
Dieter Zechlin
Friedrich Gulda (Decca)
Garrick Ohlsson
Gerard Willems
Gerhard Oppitz
Ian Hobson
Ichiro Nodaira
Igor Levit
Irina Mejoueva
John O'Conor
Jonathan Biss
Kun-Woo Paik
Louie Lortie
Malcolm Binns
Michael Houstoun (Morrison Trust)
Michael Houstoun (Rattle)
Michael Korstick
Paul Badura-Skoda (Gramola)
Pavaali Jumppanen
Peter Rösel
Robert Silverman (AudioHigh)
Rudolf Buchbinder (Teldec)
Sequeira Costa
Stephen Kovacevich
Stewart Goodyear
Wilhelm Kempff (1961, King International)
Yaeko Yamane
Yves Nat

Fourth Tier (in alphabetical order)
Abdel Rahman El Bacha (Forlane)
Aldo Ciccolini
Alfred Brendel (Philips, 1990s)
Andre De Groote
Anton Kuerti
Christian Leotta
Dino Ciani
Georges Pludermacher
Idil Biret
Ikuyo Nakamichi
Jean Bernard Pommier
Jean Muller
Jean-Efflam Bavouzet
Jeno Jando
John Kane
John Lill
Llŷr Williams
Mari Kodama
Maria Grinburg
Martin Rasch
Martino Tirimo
Melodie Zhao
Paul Lewis
Richard Goode
Robert Benz
Robert Taub
Ronald Brautigam
Rudolf Buchbinder (RCA)
Sebastian Forster
Steven Herbert Smith
Steven Masi
Timothy Ehlen
Vladimir Ashkenazy
Walter Gieseking (Tahra)
Yukio Yokoyama

Bottom Tier (in sorta particular order)
HJ Lim
Rita Bouboulidi
Tatiana Nikolayeva
Anne Oland

Eighth Circle of Hell
[Glenn Gould; OK, he didn't complete a cycle, but this is where he belongs]

Brautigam fourth tier? I have clearly not listened to as many cycles as you but with Brautigam the years since these masterworks were conceived fall away. Honest and connected with the music. Actually, with performances so intriguing and powerful comparisons and list order are completely pointless. I also like Pollini, Kovacevich, Barenboim among many others but wouldn’t dream of placing them in any sort of order!

Brautigam fourth tier? I have clearly not listened to as many cycles as you but with Brautigam the years since these masterworks were conceived fall away. Honest and connected with the music. Actually, with performances so intriguing and powerful comparisons and list order are completely pointless. I also like Pollini, Kovacevich, Barenboim among many others but wouldn’t dream of placing them in any sort of order!

I wouldn’t take all those tiers too seriously if I were you! It’s all a bit silly, and he should know better.

Yes. Reading that back I did, as so often, come over more serious than I intended. Not that I have ever been keen on “best of” type discussions, if only because my own views have changed so much over the years! I remember as a student, with a couple of months classical listening under my belt, declaring that VW’s Tallis Fantasia was the greatest piece of music ever written. Ah, the misplaced over confidence of youth!

In preparation for the upcoming Beethoven year, and having recently completed three more cycles, I decided to refresh my tiers so that I can make sure any new cycles that pop up in the next dozen or so months can be properly grouped into the most objective ratings system known to humanity.

Top Tier – The Holy Tetrarchy
Annie Fischer (Hungarton)
Friedrich Gulda (Amadeo)
Wilhelm Kempff (DG, mono)
Wilhelm Backhaus (mono)
[Rudolf Serkin; OK, he didn't complete a cycle, but this is where he belongs]

Top Tier – The Rest of the Top Ten (sort of in order)
Wilhelm Kempff (DG, stereo)
Eric Heidsieck
Russell Sherman
Andrea Lucchesini
Emil Gilels
Daniel-Ben Pienaar
[Sviatoslav Richter; OK, he didn't complete a cycle, but this is where he belongs]

Second Tier (in alphabetical order)
Artur Schnabel
Bernard Roberts
Claude Frank
Daniel Barenboim (EMI, 2005)
Eduardo del Pueyo
Francois Frederic Guy
Friedrich Gulda (Orfeo)
Kazune Shimizu (Sony)
Maurizio Pollini
Michael Levinas
Paul Badura-Skoda (JVC/Astree)
Peter Takacs
Robert Silverman
Rudolf Buchbinder (Unitel)
Seymour Lipkin
Takahiro Sonoda (Denon)
Takahiro Sonoda (Evica)
Wilhelm Backhaus (stereo)
Younwha Lee
Yu Kosuge
Yusuke Kikuchi
[Bruce Hungerford; OK, he didn't complete a cycle, but this is where he belongs]

Third Tier (in no alphabetical order)
Abdel Rahman El Bacha (Mirare)
Akiyoshi Sako
Alfred Brendel (Philips, 1970s)
Alfred Brendel (Vox)
Alfredo Perl
Andras Schiff
Claudio Arrau (1960s)
Claudio Arrau (1980s)
Craig Sheppard
Daniel Barenboim (DG)
Daniel Barenboim (EMI, 1960s)
David Allen Wehr
Dieter Zechlin
Friedrich Gulda (Decca)
Garrick Ohlsson
Gerard Willems
Gerhard Oppitz
Ian Hobson
Ichiro Nodaira
Igor Levit
Irina Mejoueva
John O'Conor
Jonathan Biss
Kun-Woo Paik
Louie Lortie
Malcolm Binns
Michael Houstoun (Morrison Trust)
Michael Houstoun (Rattle)
Michael Korstick
Paul Badura-Skoda (Gramola)
Pavaali Jumppanen
Peter Rösel
Robert Silverman (AudioHigh)
Rudolf Buchbinder (Teldec)
Sequeira Costa
Stephen Kovacevich
Stewart Goodyear
Wilhelm Kempff (1961, King International)
Yaeko Yamane
Yves Nat

Fourth Tier (in alphabetical order)
Abdel Rahman El Bacha (Forlane)
Aldo Ciccolini
Alfred Brendel (Philips, 1990s)
Andre De Groote
Anton Kuerti
Christian Leotta
Dino Ciani
Georges Pludermacher
Idil Biret
Ikuyo Nakamichi
Jean Bernard Pommier
Jean Muller
Jean-Efflam Bavouzet
Jeno Jando
John Kane
John Lill
Llŷr Williams
Mari Kodama
Maria Grinburg
Martin Rasch
Martino Tirimo
Melodie Zhao
Paul Lewis
Richard Goode
Robert Benz
Robert Taub
Ronald Brautigam
Rudolf Buchbinder (RCA)
Sebastian Forster
Steven Herbert Smith
Steven Masi
Timothy Ehlen
Vladimir Ashkenazy
Walter Gieseking (Tahra)
Yukio Yokoyama

Bottom Tier (in sorta particular order)
HJ Lim
Rita Bouboulidi
Tatiana Nikolayeva
Anne Oland

Eighth Circle of Hell
[Glenn Gould; OK, he didn't complete a cycle, but this is where he belongs]

imagine Glenn Gould at the gates of hell: sorry mate, you can’t bring your own stool here...

71k%2BgePm9PL._SY425_.jpg

I've worked my way through Say's cycle, and it's close to what I expected, but not quite what I'd hoped for in some respects. Much of the playing is more refined than expected, and Say's earlier wild man ways are less evident. I've not done A/Bs with the five LvB sonatas he recorded before, but I will at some point. To be sure, Say's playing is quite willful much of the time, and most of the time it works well. His cycle makes for a good overall contrast with Igor Levit. Levit is willful at times, and while his piano playing is more refined and secure, his willfulness seems more contrived and studied. Say's more than occasionally seems more spontaneous and makes more sense in the context of his playing. Like any other cycles, there are relative highpoints. For me, 2/3, 13, 28 (with great contrast between the first two movements), 31/3, 53, and 101 stand out. 101, in particular, works very well, with some slow tempo and less clangorous than expected playing in the march. Not a top tier cycle, but second tier. I need to do another run-through before Lifschitz arrives.

Hi Todd
Re-reading this present thread is extra-ordinarily illuminating!!
I have the Kempff (stereo) cycle, the earlier EMI Barenboim and the incomplete Perahia cycles, as well as some individual issues.
So, to the actual question: if you had to choose an excellent interpretative cycle BUT also the best recorded, which would you actually go for?
Thanks

So, to the actual question: if you had to choose an excellent interpretative cycle BUT also the best recorded, which would you actually go for?

A question I’d love to know the answer to too! I guess its all deeply personal, e.g. I’ve since stumbled across a copy of the apparently legendary Annie Fisher set on Hungaroton and it leaves me rather cold! I prefer both Kempff (I have the stereo cycle on vinyl) and the few bits I’ve got by Brendal on a Philips compilation CD.

I find the sound on the Friedrich Gulda set very good - its very dry with little reverb but that seems to suit Gulda's relative swiftness. I have the Decca released version - the piano sonatas from 1968 Amadeo recordings , and the Piano Concertos with Horst Stein and VPO from 1973. The sound on the early 70s Brendel set is definitely richer but overall I find the interpretations less compelling than Gulda- though Brendel's op 101 is something special.

Can anyone comment on sound quality of the much more recent Daniel-Ben Pienaar cycle? Its available from presto classical for £23 (as opposed to £75 at amazon).

advertisement

Back