advertisement

Beethoven Fourth Piano Concerto and Bruckner VII - VPO

George J

Herefordshire member
This is a truly historic concerto before it even happens. Bernard Haitink leads the VPO in London for the last time. BBC Proms on R3 at 19:30 hours, BST.

The Troughline has been warming up for the last half hour. Please don't phone me till the concert ends as the phone will be turned OFF.

Best wishes from George

Our programme listed Murray Perahia as the soloist. What happened to him? And yes, am also listening

I am not all that drawn to Bruckner's music these days, but the Seventh Symphony can still draw me in in a grand performance.

I have just listened to Bernard Haitink leading the Vienna Phil in Prom 60 again. It is astonishing how these players keep things lucid and expressive within what is an almost classical style of playing. Certainly less demonstrative than the Furtwangler recording on EMI Electrola [German branch of HMV] LPs from years ago. But if anything it seems to unfold so naturally that as one listens it seems absolutely right and natural, and immensely expressive of some deep inner sadness. Somehow the unique timbres of the Vienna Phil [especially the wind players] fit the music like a fine glove.

Best wishes from George

The VPO certainly made some other orchestras sound distinctly ordinary, more akin to the Bournemouth Sinfonietta of yesteryear.

I would like to add a heads-up that this Prom Concert is being broadcast again this evening at 19:30 hours on Radio Three.

The other broadcast that I'll be tuned to will be the Kings Carols either today at 15:00 hours on Radio Four or the rebroadcast at 14:00 hours on Christmas Day on Radio Three. Or possibly both!

Happy Christmas from George

Did anybody else find the sound just a tad too digital last night on the Bruckner??? I recall the live broadcast as being a much better sound. Perahps my ears or my tuner have gone downhill in the last few months, or the misery of the season has affected me.

advertisement

Back