Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Beautiful Music That Reduce You To Tears

Discussion in 'music' started by ryder, Dec 20, 2021.

1. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Paul Mc likes this.
  2. AllyD

AllyD ex audio room poster

kendo likes this.
  3. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

Howard Keel, Only Make Believe, from Showboat.

4. Engels

Engels pfm Member

As posted many times before ,the Miles Davis elegy for Duke Ellington - 'He Loved Him Madly'

5. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

I only discovered Lorraine Hunt Lieberson recently, I've a reviewer to thank for it, he also pointed me to the El Nino album, i have a lot of John Adams Albums but not this one, it's on order so i'm looking forward to hearing it. I've had a few "moments" listening to Hunt Lieberson over Christmas.

John Adams Century Rolls always gets me, Bjork's All is Full of Love, Mica Levi's Love, Some of David Bowie's later songs, Where are we Now? brings back some memories :)

herb and Del monaco like this.
  6. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

The Vaughan Williams piece is amazing.

omega3 likes this.
  7. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

She was a wonderful singer. Sad what happened to her.

8. omega3

omega3 pfm Member

Barbra Streisand - "Children will listen", "I loves you Porgy" - stuff like that with the great orchestration behind.
    Sandy Denny (Fotheringay)- "The Sea". Brilliantly prophetic.

9. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

Mink Deville - "the moonlight let me down"
    Not tears, but spine tingles :)

10. Space is the Place

Yes i didn't realise, she had died, I read Alex Ross's Essay about her on the Guardian website, to me her voice is very primal, human something that connects in the way she sings, I realised i have an Avedon Portrait of her, he was good at showing what he thought of people in his portraits and i think the Portrait of her shows that.

Lorraine Hunt Lieberson 2003 NYC, Richard Avedon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Del monaco likes this.
  11. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I agree.She has a very human voice that communicates with tenderness and fragility.

12. Space is the Place

I think a lot of music/sounds elicit an emotional response not necessary tears, but a sense of reverie.

Dream 8 (Late And Soon)
    from Max Richter Sleep is so beautiful it's easy to get taken away and lost in it.

The Blaze's Territory gets me too, meeting a lot of young people in North Africa and being humbled by their generosity and being treated like you were a member of their family despite being a stranger.It made me realise i had freedom to travel, while they did not.

I think this very pertinent song from Billie Eilish's last album, powerful and beautiful, what an amazing talent.

Jamie XX, Gosh, not only is the video directed by Romain Gavras (Photography direction by Mattias Rudh), completely mind bending magic, but at 1.52 and especially at 3.14 when the the synthesizer comes in... i don't even have words for the way that sound makes me feel, it's like feeling everything at once, remarkable!

nostromo and geofff like this.
  13. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Gladys Knight (& the Pips) - The Way we Were / Try to Remember.

14. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

15. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

16. daytona600

17. daytona600

18. daytona600

19. omega3

omega3 pfm Member

Just played this from my own pc and remembered the class, the delivery, the interpretation.................

20. geofff

geofff 100% vinyl

Just beautiful. I’ve been listening to this song for over 30 years (not constantly) and it gives me a lump in my throat every time:

Jason P and wacko like this.