advertisement

Beautiful Music That Reduce You To Tears

Elgar especially 'Nimrod', Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto number 2, Vaughan Williams, Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, Debussy's Clare de Lune etc ....

Final act of Otello with Vickers and Serafin, final moments of Peter Grimes( again Vickers), 2nd movement of Barber’s Violin Concerto with Stern and Bernstein and Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis.

There are so many, it’s hard to know where to begin. But it’s hard to top Klaus Nomi’s debut performance — a precious thing, even with the poor recording quality:

It’s probably rare in isolation ie listening to a recording. Much more likely at a live event or listening to a piece of music you have heard live.

Lullaby in Ragtime, either Danny Kaye or Harry Nilsson,
Elgar, Elegy, Op.58
Elgar, Sospiri, Op.70
In the Bleak Midwinter. The Kanneh - Mason version I just heard sounds great, must look it out.

Tecumseh / Tecumsah Valley, Townes Van Zandt, either version but especially the one on our mother the mountain, always gets to me when he sings 'they found her down...'. Not sure why really, just does.

Last edited:
And a lot of Schubert my favourite composer eg the ghostly echo of the theme in the development section of the first movement of d960. Or the opening of the piano duet d940. Or any number of songs!

advertisement

Back