advertisement

Beatles vinyl remaster reissue

I need to check the matrix number - but I have just seen a couple of Beatles goodies; one is a Mono Black/Yellow Rubber Soul, looks in pretty good condition - any ideas as to value?

Depends a lot on the matrix – the book has most pressings around 30-50 quid with the loud cut mono (-1 matrix) at 75 (a mint one would easily double that on ebay, but the others would struggle unless in remarkable condition).

Second, what I understand to be a real rarity; Please please me with the black and gold label: again, any ideas as to value? Guy looking for around £500 or so.....

Stereo or mono? There are two versions of each, one has Dick James Music credits for certain tracks, the other doesn’t – doesn’t effect the value much. The VG condition mono (DJM credits 1st press) I sold recently got 195, though ebay is very condition based, a near-mint one would kill the book value of 500. The stereo copy is worth a fortune, its book value is 2600 quid, and a near-mint one on eBay would definitely get at least this. These are all unbelievably rare in anything other than shagged condition. The label changed to yellow / black within about 6 weeks so there were never many of these out there to start with.

Tony.

Tony

Thanks for the reply. I will take a stroll back to look at PPM again. It looked in pretty good nick to me. Rubber Soul is within the figues you indicate. Thanks again.

I'm quite excited!

Regards

Mike

Sorry chaps

The near mint, loud cut mono Rubber Soul, for sale at £60, is no longer available...

Cant wait to hear it.

Regards

Mike

Originally posted by Nic Robinson
"I've got 2 - including 8track!"

Bleedin' ell, I haven't seen one of those since my flash mate's car in the 70s. Was the qualiyy any good?

My Akai CR81D is one of the three best ever 8track machines made - the others are the Akai 83D and the Wollensaks (from the States).

With a good "pressing" it's got lush thick analog bass and surprisingly low wow and flutter - especially considering how the damn cartridges (don't) work. It can be a bit hissy and a bit overloaded depending on the cartridge.

I'd say it's on a par with fairly decent early 80s PRERECORDED cassettes; certainly the recordings done onto blank 8tracks isn't too hot, as all the carts I have use foam "window weatherstrip" style pressure pads. I'd assume the TDK blanks with cassette-style pressure pad springs would produce much better recordings.

My mate cracked up when I gave him a spare deck (a cheapo BSR play-only one) and Reactivate 13 on "prerecorded" cart - ie a blank with a fudged lable :)

Tony,

I've got a question about Beatles LP gradings with regards to age. As mentioned a while back, I'm slowly adding original first and second press Beatles LPs to my collection (at which point I'll ditch the cds... yuk!).

Anyway, would I be correct in thinking that the sound quality for (say) an EX++ graded LP takes into account the age of the vinyl as well as its condition - so that an EX++ first press sixties release will probably be in a worse playing condition than an EX++ seventies release?

I'm not so interested in buying the LPs for rarity value - these are for playing and enjoying only - so I really want the best possible condition coupled with the best possible pressings, tempered with reasonable prices. I'm guessing the early seventies stereo pressings in near mint condition are likely to be the best overall 'players' - but I wouldn't mind getting some kind of 'experts' view on the grading issue first.

In the meantime I've scored a couple of mint MFSL pressings - "Abbey Road" seems to be cheapest and most easily acquired - I paid about twenty quid for mine, which has yet to arrive from the states - and "M-M-T" also - and some first and second press releases via a couple of record fairs and Epay itself - but I do feel a bit bewildered by the overwhelming number of pressings and variations out there.

Is there a concise guide to what's worth looking for out there? The previous 'Beano' link doesn't seem to work.

Ta,

jtc

Anyway, would I be correct in thinking that the sound quality for (say) an EX++ graded LP takes into account the age of the vinyl as well as its condition - so that an EX++ first press sixties release will probably be in a worse playing condition than an EX++ seventies release?

No, the grading system is intended to be an absolute - EX is (or should be) EX regardless of age. It is however only a visual grading system, a record can be clean and totally unmarked but still have been played with a chipped stylus etc.

but I do feel a bit bewildered by the overwhelming number of pressings and variations out there.

As a rule of thumb if you stick to yellow / black Parlophone label issues with flip-back sleeves you are buying vinyl pressed in the 60s with valve technology so it will sound good (definitely better than the Mo-Fi stuff).

Tony.

Just to sidetrack...

Not sure if you guys are aware, there are a couple of shops in the Shinjuku area in Tokyo that carries "hi-fi" quality CD boots of various pressing of the Beatles catalogue.

When I visited the place two months ago, I picked up two versions of Rubber Soul, Revolver and MMT each. The price are highish (approx 16UKP ea.)

The "Millenium Master" series are double cds with cd 1 being the the early 80s analog Red Box Mono pressings and cd 2 the MoFo stereo equivalent. According to the liners, they are mastered on a Lingoed LP-12 with BENZ MICRO reference cart with a Linn phonostage and transferred using the Apogee 24bit A/D converter.

The other "prettier" version is the "KAMI jacket version" (http://www.junk-headz.com/beatle-rubber-revolver.htm ) which uses early pressing US Capitol LPs for both Stereo and Mono versions, the tracklistings are different and the sound is less rich but are in gorgeous mini cardboard packages. They also have an equally beautiful boot for Beach Boys Smile album.

http://www.junk-headz.com/smile-samnail/11020004b.jpg
http://www.junk-headz.com/beachboys-smile-reserve.htm

Cut and paste from The Other Place...

reappraisal?

On saturday I saw five of the albums in HMV Oxford Street, and the impulse purchase muscle took over...bought as part curiosilty, part investment.

Anyway. I have had a play of a couple of the albums, and I must admit that my opinion is changing... one quieter tracks the vocal reproduction in particular is done very well: the pressing has been done to a very high standard and... I actually like the sound I am hearing!

Admittedly they are somewhat bass light when compared to early black/yellow Parlophone pressings, but what they lack in oomph, they make up in clarity and detail. The previously heard harsh sound has now gone, although I have not re-played the "Rubber Soul" that gave me that impression in the first place. Part of this may be down to my recent purchases, eh. Isoblue stands in place of Audiotech but to me, they sound decent.

I am having a soiree in a few weeks and will get the opinion of others and see if they can be bothered to comment.

Regards

Mike

Spending money I don't have on things I don't need.

Originally posted by royster2004
Just to sidetrack...

They also have an equally beautiful boot for Beach Boys Smile album.

http://www.junk-headz.com/smile-samnail/11020004b.jpg
http://www.junk-headz.com/beachboys-smile-reserve.htm

The Smile album? Is that the same as Smiley Smile? If so I have to rate that album as the biggest dissapointment in my record collection.

Utterly dreadful after Pet Sounds, I mean 'vegetables'???

Good vibes excepted of course.

Sorry for the rant but it was that much of a shock.:( :confused:

Smiley Smile is a travesty of what Smile could have been. If Brian Wilson could have stayed sane & finally finished Smile, it would have blown Sgt. Pepper into the weeds. Cabinessence, Surfs Up, Windchimes, Wonderful....achingly beautiful melodies and astonishing arrangements. Even Vegetables in it's original incarnation is pretty neat!
If you can find it, check out the Vigotone boot of Smile. It is easily downloadable from WinMX.

Chrisj

advertisement

Back