advertisement

Beatles vinyl remaster reissue

Michael L

pfm Member
Muchachos

As many are aware, the complete works of the Fab Four is being put out on japanese heavy vinyl; remastered, all the works from what I gather. The cost looks to be around £440 the set ( 17 albums ).

Has anyone investigated this - quality of pressing / mastering, numbers to be issued, etc?

I am seriously considering a set.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

I'm not absolutely certain(you may want to investigate further on the vinyl pages of www.audioasylum.com for more info) but I think this set has been remastered from a digital, rather than analogue source.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything but, from what I've read, general consensus from analogue/Beatle nuts is that you'd be as wise in investing a hundred or so quid on a decent copy of the Blue Box, as this is was sourced from analogue masters and is pretty decent by all accounts.

Having said that, though, I have the vinyl version of the 'bread bin' set, which is a DMM pressing (- so, theoretically, 'should' be bad -), and I find this very pleasing on the ears.

Hope that helps and, if you do purchase, let us know what you think.

Starbuck.

I was just in the record shop off the A30 in Camberley yesterday Sat 3rd Jan) and they had a few old Beatles mono pressings on the counter. I didn't ask the price because I wasn't interested in buying.

Why should DMM sound bad? - just curious.

To be honest, I'm not absolutely sure - I think it's to do with the pressing process as it supposedly sounds brighter and cleaner(this is the intention although some feel it takes away the analogue 'sound'). As I said, though, I have a set of DMM Beatles albums and quite like them - my personal complaint would be that they lack bass rather than accentuate the treble, although this is a pretty minor niggle.

Hope that makes sense.

Paul

There has been a reissue of the Beatles vinyl in mono, pretty recently. Bev in the Sound Machine had some. By the way, where is the record shop on the A30?

Regards and good luck with a new contract

Mike

Mike
There's a short road 1-block long separated from the A30 by a metal fence at Camberley centre (it completes a loop around the main block with the shopping centre, without having to go back on to the A30). There's Audio-T, a camping/army surplus shop and a cheap/2nd hand records store along it. You can often park in the street there.
:)

I had a gold lettering mono first press of Please Please Me on my Linn on Saturday, a friend wanted a second opinion with grading prior to it hitting eBay. RCRRPG value is a cool 500 quid!

Tony.

Originally posted by Tony L
I had a gold lettering mono first press of Please Please Me on my Linn on Saturday, a friend wanted a second opinion with grading prior to it hitting eBay. RCRRPG value is a cool 500 quid!

Tony.

Now that is cool - I would dearly love to find one of them - but at a car-boot price. Shame it wasn't the stereo version at £2600!!

Rich

How about "Beatles for sale", mint, unplayed, mono? Did I mention that it's signed and personalised by all four Beatles? And there's a photo of the owner with the Beatles at the time it was signed?

I believe the value is somewhere in excess of £5000 these days, maybe up to £10,000, who knows. What's worse, it's not mine...

It's my aunties...!!!

John

And there's a photo of the owner with the Beatles at the time it was signed?

One of my friends mothers frequently went to markets and car boots. One time years back she found a picture frame she liked for about 20p, it still had some family photo in it, but she bought it for the frame. On getting it home she found behind the family pic a fully signed Beatles photo from about 63 or 64 – it has since been authenticated. A rather good buy!

Tony.

Hope nobody minds this - a little off topic, but TLs Beatles picture frame thing reminded me about the Beatles fan club floppy record that sits in the filing cabinet. It is 1968 and features Tiny Tim with the fab 4, c/w red white and blue phsycodeelic (you know what I mean) designed cover. There is also a membership card and a welcome to the fan club circular from one Freeda Kelly? I was a 17yr old hippybeatlesfreek when it was issued (and still derive immense pleasure from the lads). Any idea of the current value all you antiques roadshow buffs?

rgds - redcogs.

TLs Beatles picture frame thing reminded me about the Beatles fan club floppy record that sits in the filing cabinet. It is 1968 and features Tiny Tim with the fab 4, c/w red white and blue phsycodeelic (you know what I mean) designed cover.

If it is Lyntone 1743/4 it's worth 65 quid if it has the insert, and 55 quid without according to the 2004 RCRRPG. My hunch is that if it is in decent condition it would make far more than that on eBay where good Beatles stuff tends to do very well indeed.

Tony.

Cheers TL - no holiday in the south of France this year then - still, with £50 we might manage Birkenhead!

rgds - redcogs

I think this is Kinda related;

Are there any decent Beatles re-issues that are worth looking out for from a purely; 'good basic sound quality ' point of view. I have all of the Fab Fours albums , but only on Cassette tape. These are all in my loft along with my Cassette deck and probably won't see the light of day again, well not for a long time anyway.
I was in Fopp Edinburgh the other day and noticed a load of Beatles LPs for sale. These where all brand new and obviously much later re-issues, has anybody tried them ?

I bought Let it Be-Naked, and have to say that i really like it. The whole package is great and i really felt like i'd got £15 worth of 'product'. I was tempted to get it just on CD , however i knew I'd get that empty 'So what ' feeling once i'd got it home and played it, coupled with squinting at the poxy sleeve notes/booklet. The Lp is an 'Event' :D . The Beatles Lp's that where in fopp where nothing fancy and this is what I'm after, they where all about £15-£20 though so I don't want to take too much of a risk on them in case they are dire.
I have tried some of the Simply Vinyl re-issues of a other artists albums and although they seem initially to offer a lot, they don't seem to be quite as good as a decent condition original,(sometimes).
So for £15-£20 each , worth a punt d'ya reckon ?

Are there any decent Beatles re-issues that are worth looking out for from a purely; 'good basic sound quality ' point of view.

To my ears the current digital mastered copies are crap and certainly to be avoided. I’d go for the 70s / early 80s analogue reissues, you can spot them easy enough as they don’t have flip-back sleeves like the original issues (though obviously buy originals if you see them at a good price!) and don’t have any mention of digital atrocities on the back cover. The 70s Parlophone label has two boxed EMI logos and silver and white writing on a black label; I think the digital stuff only has one EMI logo, but you can spot them by the cover (I think they have a bar code too, which is an obvious giveaway).

Original 60s Parlophone labels are black with a yellow logo and pressed on heavier vinyl, the covers are also far heavier grade with flip-back seams (i.e. the card flaps that hold the sleeve together are on the outside). The 60s pressings do sound better, but the 70s ones are not bad at all and should be a lot cheaper, I’d say about a tenner a pop is reasonable for a mint 70s pressing.

Tony.

Some good info here: http://www.beanos.co.uk/beatles/LPs.php

As I attempted to describe in the post above the affordable ones to get are ‘label design No 3’ in the link above – the confusing bit is that the first issues on this label designs have just one EMI logo, and so do the digital ones that need avoiding! So, to recap label design 3:

Two EMI logos = good
One EMI logo = good
One EMI logo and the word digital on the cover = bad

Just to confuse matters further there are also some late issues with a black / yellow Parlophone label, its easy to tell these ain't 'real' 60s ones as the covers are crappy cheap thin card, duno what they sound like or what masters were used.

Tony.

advertisement

Back