advertisement

Beach House

The CD turned up yesterday (Amazon actually seem to deliver on bank holidays!). I'm really liking it based on a couple of plays. Probably best viewed as a continuation of Bloom, certainly no huge change of direction and some rifs do sound a little like they've used them before, but not in a bad way as they end up somewhere else this time. I just love Beach House's / Victoria Legrand's use of chords, she seems to take every apparent repetition somewhere slightly different so it isn't a repetition at all. Really interesting and clever song structures, and like all great bands, instantly recognisable and unlike anyone else. It's marginally less compressed and crunched than either Teen Dream or Bloom too which is a bonus. How's the vinyl? Nice red velvet cover too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y1QSDRQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I must say, I am starting to like this more with each listen. Right PPP and Beyond Love are my favourites.
The vinyl is very nice. =)

Got mine and Saturday and two listens in I agree it's a bit Bloom 2.0 but that's no bad thing. This will get a lot more listening, I'm sure.

Anyone going to see them on tour? There is a second date at Shepherd's Bush Empire that isn't mentioned on the official BH website.

Got mine and Saturday and two listens in I agree it's a bit Bloom 2.0 but that's no bad thing. This will get a lot more listening, I'm sure.

Anyone going to see them on tour? There is a second date at Shepherd's Bush Empire that isn't mentioned on the official BH website.

Yes, seeing them in November in Copenhagen.

I am indeed going to see them at The Ritz in Manchester despite Ticketmaster turning what purports to be an £18 ticket into a £23.25 expense. There is a booking fee of £2.50 and then, somehow, they charge another £2.75 on top of that to deliver the ticket via email. I'll type that again as it's probably not sunk in.... via email. It's even more if you want a real printed one sent in an envelope. I now understand why despite having a popular website I am not even remotely rich. I have so, so much to learn about ecomerce....

I am indeed going to see them at The Ritz in Manchester despite Ticketmaster turning what purports to be an £18 ticket into a £23.25 expense. There is a booking fee of £2.50 and then, somehow, they charge another £2.75 on top of that to deliver the ticket via email. I'll type that again as it's probably not sunk in.... via email. It's even more if you want a real printed one sent in an envelope. I now understand why despite having a popular website I am not even remotely rich. I have so, so much to learn about ecomerce....

You should charge us by the word. Would make moderating a piece of piss!

Sadly I can't make any of the dates so I'll have to experience it vicariously via reports from here.

I went to see them last night in Manchester:

22539151495_9d668cd5bf_o.jpg

22550331631_8b4c685df5_o.jpg

Superb gig. Just totally Beach House. Hard to imagine how they could have been more Beach House really. They played a range of stuff from their whole career, experimented a bit with Victoria playing bass and guitar on one song each, which worked very well (she seems to be sequencing some of the keyboard lines to fill the gaps). They had a bass player too who doubled on keyboards a bit. The lighting was great, no fill lighting on the band, just backlighting silhouetting them against the ever changing backdrop. Very nicely done. They'd sold out the venue.

The support act deserves a mention too: Dustin Wong, who I'd never heard of. Really interesting solo guitar and FX box/loopers stuff, this guy can get a rather battered old Fender Tele to sound like Rubycon-period Tangerine Dream, Steve Reich etc. Really amazing stuff, kind of a modern and far more expanded take on Fripp & Eno, but with way more rhythmic content. I need to investigate what he's released.

Excellent full Beach House gig just gone up on YouTube courtesy of Pitchfork. Watching it now on the TV/La Scala rig. Wonderful stuff!

advertisement

Back