advertisement

BBC4 documentary - Girl in a Band

Tw99

source last
It's been a good few weeks for music docs on BBC4, with Mark Radcliffe's Indie series, the Psychedelia Britannica one, and I came across this on IPlayer too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06l17fn/girl-in-a-band-tales-from-the-rock-n-roll-front-line

A very enjoyable way to spend an hour. I'm sure some of you know of Carol Kaye, I didn't, but what a discography ! It has some of the usual suspects on it, but I hadn't previously seen Brix Smith, or Pauline Murray, interviewed on TV .

It is a great programme. You can see more about Carol Kaye on You Tube, including footage of a documentary which was never finished.

Carol says she was a mother figure to Brian Wilson and that he couldn't write notated music very well. She definitely created some of The Beach Boys greatest basslines.

Brix comes over really well. I interviewed Mark E. Smith and her, just after they got married and she arrived in the UK.

It's funny when Tina Weymouth has a go at what Kim Gordon says about female bass players. Viv Albertine is excellent and The Slits are such an important band in retrospect. I wish I'd seen them more than once, before they first stopped recording and performing.

You're right that Girl in a Band is a great way to spend an hour. Kate Mossman is cool and presents the programme in a very knowledgeable and charming way.

Jack

Yes, I thought it rather good too. The typical BBC music clips program that followed it when initially broadcast featuring bands with girls was good too. Even had The Au Pairs, which was great to see. That's a band I wish I'd caught live.

Saw the slits in 79 at the electric ballroom,sadly they were awful,which is a shame as i love cut.
Remember seeing Penertration the year before.

I saw The Slits in Oxford supporting The Pop Group and they were excellent. By Viv's own admission though, they could be pretty appalling live.

Jack

I watched last week to while away an hour in a hotel room. I thought it was excellent and one of the most refreshing BBC music documentaries for some time - at last no more lionising tedious baby boomer music.

advertisement

Back