advertisement

BBC The Trial of Christine Keeler

I recall that the Royal family were protected by some law that prevented journalists or cartoonists from making allegations about the "firm" ( Randy Andy excepted) but that had zero affect on the French who published a cartoon showing a dressing screen complete with royal crest and sexy underwear draped over it.

Bubble and Squeak .perhaps?

and just what law would protect the Royals outside the UK?

Edward VIII’s affair was published widely in Europe, apart from here.

I recall that the Royal family were protected by some law that prevented journalists or cartoonists from making allegations about the "firm" ( Randy Andy excepted) but that had zero affect on the French who published a cartoon showing a dressing screen complete with royal crest and sexy underwear draped over it.

Bubble and Squeak .perhaps?

When I worked in France people were surprised I hadn’t heard about Prince Philip’s visits to upmarket brothels.

Of the various recent BBC drama series, this is the only one I've watched and am enjoying. I have very vague memories of the contemporary reports of the events; as with the Cubam missile crisis and the Moors Murders the relevant newspapers were quickly 'tidied away' so that us children didn't see them, and we didn't have a TV until some time later.

Could have been a bit faster paced at times but a good watch , thought some of the scenes were around Bristol , I,m not going mad after all lol

A Christine Keeler story for the 21st Century,

The rewards are so much better and no chance of a political resignation, even when caught with pants down and hand in the till at the same time.

517629.jpg

This was a great series IMO and the Tom Mangold documentary Keeler, Profumo, Ward & Me on BBC2 that followed tonight’s final episode is absolutely essential viewing. It contains truly damning evidence of the Tory government corruption that led to Ward’s wrongful conviction and suicide.

Indeed.. but no more spoilers about the series please.. I've only watched the first three and am hoping it all turns out well for all....

Indeed.. but no more spoilers about the series please.. I've only watched the first three and am hoping it all turns out well for all....

it wasn’t in the series, it was a documentary on BBC 2 later.
Do try to keep up.

Agree that it has been an excellent series, as was “A Very English Scandal” about the Thorpe scandal. If you go to YouTube and do a search for “Christine Keeler” and or “Mandy Rice Davies” or “Stephen Ward” you’ll find several interesting clips of the protagonists themselves.

The dramatisation fell on its bum in the trial episode. It has obviously been directed for the hard of thinking with all those knowing looks and school drama class court room exaggerations.

The dramatisation fell on its bum in the trial episode. It has obviously been directed for the hard of thinking with all those knowing looks and school drama class court room exaggerations.
And since when does the prosecution lawyer have the last say in the summing up?

Agreed... except that it does rather beg the question as to why he hasn't been a lot more vocal in the intervening 57 years...

maybe because news of his sexual tastes paled into insignificance compared to what else the corrupt bastard was up to.
He fled the country to avoid 30 years of back tax payments and lived out his life in France only returning once dead to be buried.

And since when does the prosecution lawyer have the last say in the summing up?
Exactly! It was so out of keeping with what had been a well observed production up till that episode. It wa as if they had brought in a different director or someone had inter feared with the script.

advertisement

Back