advertisement

BBC The Trial of Christine Keeler

MikeMA

pfm Member
I'm enjoying this hugely. It's well written and cast with some decent acting. I was about fifteen at the time it all took place and can remember most of the main characters and events. Fascinating to see it all played out on the telly. Some great music too, especially those old Kinks tracks which seem so appropriate. Anyone else watching?

Agreed, pretty good stuff.
(Who could ever forget that picture of Christine astride the chair, they should have got that in somewhere!’)

Should have been 4 parts over 2 weekends... getting dragged out now.
Having said which, it does give more insight into the non-political characters. Sophie Cookson superb. Much of it shot in Bristol (I spotted the bottom of Broad Street near the Grand Hotel).
The 'old Kinks tracks' - I heard 'Dedicated Follower of Fashion', released 1966 (!)…. Even Da Doo Ron Ron was a year out (released 63 not 62). Usual BBC vagueness.

The music postdating the action had been bothering me as well. A Well Respected Man (Kinks) 1965.

The 'old Kinks tracks' - I heard 'Dedicated Follower of Fashion', released 1966 (!)…. Even Da Doo Ron Ron was a year out (released 63 not 62). Usual BBC vagueness.

The music postdating the action had been bothering me as well. A Well Respected Man (Kinks) 1965.

Oh, you pedants you! I never noticed, and now you've gone and ruined it all!:(

As do those who point out continuity issues in tv dramas.
It’ll be routemaster buses next.

whilst I am enjoying the series at 6 episodes it’s far too long.
The first two dragged along at a snail’s pace.

We overcome the elapsed time of all the episodes by waiting until one or two episodes are left and then binge watch by iPlayer or Sky + recordings.
I heard about the trial when hitch hiking in Austria - the trial was all the buzz in Europe at the time.

It's the terrific interiors (Stephen Ward's mews place reminds me of my aspirational 1960s self) and clothes that really put the icing on the cake for me. A real visual treat - especially for lovers of good knitwear!
ML
Yes it's the interiors and clothes that I like too. Sixties interior design is of course now frightfully trendy. It's all you see in Habitat and Ikea now days.

Plus I keep waiting for Endeavour Morse to come on in a cameo role, especially as his old Chief Superintendent, Reginald Bright (Anton Lesser), is in it playing some other character!

Much of it shot in Bristol (I spotted the bottom of Broad Street near the Grand Hotel).
I spotted that, too as well as some shot outside of Bristol Crown Courts and also a scene outside of the Crystal Palace pub in Bath.

An interesting episode in time.

Yes it's the interiors and clothes that I like too. Sixties interior design is of course now frightfully trendy. It's all you see in Habitat and Ikea now days.

Plus I keep waiting for Endeavour Morse to come on in a cameo role, especially as his old Chief Superintendent, Reginald Bright (Anton Lesser), is in it playing some other character!
Anton Lesser always plays the same character

I recall that the Royal family were protected by some law that prevented journalists or cartoonists from making allegations about the "firm" ( Randy Andy excepted) but that had zero affect on the French who published a cartoon showing a dressing screen complete with royal crest and sexy underwear draped over it.

Bubble and Squeak .perhaps?

Another side issue that seemed to result from that trial was that Stephen Ward who took his own life and then Michael Holliday singer from Liverpool "The story of my life" joined in at the same time almost to create a craze.

advertisement

Back