advertisement

BBC Radio 4 morning news announcer

dan m

pfm Member
I very much enjoy listening to radio 4, but due to time differences in the US I didn’t routinely listen to the morning news. Now I am in the UK I always flip on the radio when I am making breakfast. Who is the annoying interviewer that continually interrupts and talks over the guests on the show? There’s asking hard-hitting following up questions, and there’s being just rude. He also often mocks the guest - why do they put up with this?

You're going to have to give us some more clues. I'm compiling a list of possible candidates, at the moment...

...Mind you, John Humphrys is top of it.

And second.

And third.

Is he one of those ‘institutions’ that people just put up with? Seems to be quite stuck on himself. Odd that his behaviour is tolerated. I’ll see if the World Service is better.

He used to be quite good, but in recent years he's been mostly trading on his reputation as a media rottweiler. But his inherent biases are more apparent these days by who gets the full bared-teeth routine, and who gets a comparatively easy ride.

Yes, it's John Humphries, it's his persona and it has come to be expected. It's tolerated because he has always been that way. Some politicians get on well with it, I well remember John Prescott deciding he had had enough and stepping into streetfighter mode with "Ow many times 'ave Ah got to tell YOU? It's norrabout that, it's about that, and that, and that," and off he went thumping the table for whatever his latest crusade was.

It was Nick Robinson’s presence that made me decide to stop listening to Radio 4 in the mornings. I got fed up with shouting ‘for God’s sake will you STOP INTERRUPTING!’ at the radio. Now the days begin in a more tranquil, thoughtful, lower-blood-pressure kind of way with one of the various internet jazz stations. Probably my best lifestyle choice since giving up newspapers 25 years ago.

I switched to R3 in the morning. It’s not just the presenters, more a weariness with the same arguments and stuck politics. Something got to change.

It was Nick Robinson’s presence that made me decide to stop listening to Radio 4 in the mornings. I got fed up with shouting ‘for God’s sake will you STOP INTERRUPTING!’ at the radio.

Steady on there, the mods tend to stick together you know.

Yes, it's John Humphries, it's his persona and it has come to be expected. It's tolerated because he has always been that way. Some politicians get on well with it, I well remember John Prescott deciding he had had enough and stepping into streetfighter mode with "Ow many times 'ave Ah got to tell YOU? It's norrabout that, it's about that, and that, and that," and off he went thumping the table for whatever his latest crusade was.
He’s finished, they need to put him out to pasture

I hum along to Classic FM in my car, office, kitchen and loo. No politics, varied music and brief news and FTSE situation every half hour (up to 0900). R3 for serious listening on my main rig, especially the Jazz bonanza on Saturday afternoons; amazing quality considering the age of some of the requests. R4 Saturday lunchtime for the money programme and News Quiz.

I would take Morrisseys advice:

"Stop watching the news
Because the news contrives to frighten you
To make you feel small and alone
To make you feel your mind isn't your own"

Substitute the first line with "Stop the Thugfries"!

advertisement

Back