Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC R2 - Your Ultimate 90s Album Revealed!

Discussion in 'music' started by tuga, Oct 17, 2020.

1. John.P

John.P pfm Member

Of all the albums in the previous posts I have just one of them and that's not my choice but my wife's
    REM Out of Time
    I suppose that shows how much I liked 90s music.

2. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

...and that was pretty much 80s ;)

John.P likes this.
  3. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Just playing Automatic for the People seriously for the first time in 15 years or so. (I love Out of Time too.) It's still brilliant but the production is very bright and splashy is my first impression...

4. Conan

Conan Loop digger

I was 7 to 17 during the 80s and 17 to 27 in the 90s.
    I can honestly say that i found the 80s too commercial and boring.
    It was too rock fm hairspray for me.
    I identified myself more with the 90s as there was a broader variety of genres that became mainstream.

5. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

In Utero - Nirvana
    Bossanova, Trompe le Monde - Pixies
    Cult of Ray, Frank Black & the Catholics - Frank Black (& the Catholics)
    Set the Twilight Reeling - Lou Reed

6. fegs

fegs pfm Member

Some very good choices there!

Love Cult Of ray

Sloop John B likes this.
  7. Conan

Conan Loop digger

Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches from happy mondays deserves to be on the top ten

8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I find it more difficult to keep up now. In the last 10 years there are two acts that stand out; John Grant & The Decemberists, you may like one of them.

9. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

But if it’s a poll of the 90s then it has to be from that decade; just because REM made some better albums in the 80s is irrelevant. 2nd tier REM is a step ahead of pretty much anything else.

tuga and fegs like this.
  10. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

A few people I know have said they like The Decemberists actually. I've been meaning to check them out for a while... Haven't heard of John Grant.

11. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Personally from their 90s stuff I prefer both New Adventures In Hifi and Up. Neither has Everybody Hurts on it for starters.

tuga likes this.
  12. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

Good point, but New Adventures has that track that sounds like a car alarm for its whole duration. Tough call...

13. Arkless Electronics

Best REM track- Night Swimming

I have a few of their albums but find them a bit boring TBH. MUCH better live.

14. Arkless Electronics

Need to add the eponymous "Marc Cohn" and David Grey "White Ladder" to 90's!

15. matt j

matt j pfm Member

As much as I think Fat Of The Land is decent, I'd take both Experience or Music For The Jilted Generation over it (all three no doubt in Jez's top ten).

Same with The Verve, I love Urban Hymns but would put A Northern Soul above it.

Blue Lines

Either of Gold Against The Soul or Generation Terrorists

I loved Only Forever by Puressence when it came out and played it to death, but I'm under no illusions it's a great album, just a personal favourite.

Terror Twilight just creeps in as well from '99

16. Arkless Electronics

Not in my top ten but I do like The Prodigy yes:p Mezzanine as you will have seen is in my top 10 but was swaying towards Blue Lines... We all love a bit of trip hop, tricky genre as it is:D

17. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Try ‘Picaresque’ from the Decemberists & ‘Queen of Denmark’ from John Grant. Two stone cold classics.

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  18. rod ayling

rod ayling pfm Member

Not spotted any Beck? C' mon guys?

My favourite is Mutations. But Odelay and Midnite Vultures are great too.

Jordan The Comeback
    Reading Writing and Arithmetic.
    New Wave - Auteurs
    Tindersticks 1 and 2
    Maxinquaye.
    The Soft Bulletin.
    Grace
    The Bends
    Either/Or
    Dummy
    His and hers
    The Real Ramona
    Automatic for the people
    Brutal Youth (Costello fanatic)
    Outside (Bowie fanatic)
    Spice Girls ( just checking if you're paying attention still ).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 12:52 PM
    Woodface and tuga like this.
  19. fegs

fegs pfm Member

Picking the Prodigy album for my list was a tough call, Music For The Jilted Generation very nearly made it, depends what mood I'm in ;)

Same with the Manics, Holy Bible for me was quite something at the time, saw them at Rock City on that tour and it rates as one of the best times I've seen them, the anger and energy was amazing, JDB literally spat the lyrics out!!

matt j likes this.
  20. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

I agree and that, and the fact that the key tracks have been overplayed, is why I come back to Monster from the 90s REM era. It stands up well several decades on.