Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC R2 - Your Ultimate 90s Album Revealed!

Discussion in 'music' started by tuga, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

I didn’t listen to a lot of Pop/Rock in the 90s and didn’t own any of the below at the time, but in my limited experience (and mostly discovered by me after the 90s ended) I’d choose these:

Pearl Jam - Ten
    Alice in Chains - Dirt
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    R.E.M. - Out of Time
    Stone Temple Pilots - Core
    Massive Attack - Mazzanine
    Soundgarden - Superunknown
    Mad Season - Above
    Eels - Beautiful Freak
    Helmet - Meantime

Martian Sunrise, gavreid and tuga like this.
  2. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Many I would think of have already been mentioned. Therefore, apart from those;

REM, Out Of Time
    Grant Lee Buffalo, Fuzzy
    RHCP, Californication
    Soundgarden, Superunknown
    Metallica, epon.
    Depeche Mode, Violator
    Moby, Play
    Gomez, Bring It On
    Anthrax, Sound Of White Noise

With more thought that could be a full 10 and the list could easily change ;)

EDIT: Crossed posts with Nagraboy...
    2nd EDIT: Thought of a 10th to make a complete list... Screaming Trees, Dust.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    tuga likes this.
  3. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

Quite a few of these bands mentioned here I’ve never heard of, must investigate! (he says with Fred Astaire playing in the background lol)

tuga and Weekender like this.
  4. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Prefab Sprout - Jordan The Comeback = not only the best album of the 90's by a light year but would be in my top 5 of all time!

Bjork - Debut = still her best album IMHO

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Paul Weller - Wildwood

Paul Weller - Stanley Road

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Gomez - Bring it on

Travis - The Man Who

The Waterboys - Room to Roam

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory

Interestingly I found that MUCH more difficult than the 80's one... and I only named 10 rather than 20 this time! so many I wanted to include but turned out to be 1989 or 2000 as well.

No Radiohead, Manic's or Verve as all seemed to follow some new "whoa is me I'm so upset I could just burst into tears whilst gazing at my shoes" thang... although all made at least some good music.
    Never got why people rate "Bitter Sweet Symphony" above "The Drugs Don't Work" either... the first is far too repetitive with that stones sample looped over and over... I cover the latter myself at buskers nights and it seems to go down well.

tuga likes this.
  5. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

I struggled between 'Bone Machine' and 'Mule Variations'. Great album!

kendo and gavreid like this.
  6. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

Almost made it to my runners up. In retrospect it probably deserves a place there more than 'Achtung Baby'...

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  7. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

Distinct lack of Psyence Fiction or Two Pages so far. As a complete curveball I would also suggest that Boss Drum could be up there as well.

8. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

The La's album, which just missed being in the '80s because Lee Mavers arsed around so much, must top the list.
    After that, in no particular order:

The Boo Radleys: Giant Steps
    The Boo Radleys: Wake Up!
    Mazzy Star: So Tonight That I Might See
    HMHB: This Leaden Pall
    HMHB: Four Lads Who Shook The Wirral
    HMHB: Voyage To The Bottom Of The Road
    Portishead: Dummy
    Julian Cope: 20 Mothers
    Black Grape: It's Great When You're Straight ... Yeah

tuga likes this.
  9. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

No. 1 is Chicane - Far from the Maddening Crowds

Others in no particular order:

Primal Scream - Screamadelica
    U2 - Achtung Baby
    Peter Gabriel - Us
    REM - Monster
    Massive Attack - Mezzanine
    Depeche Mode - Violator
    U2 - Zooropa
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Orbital - Snivelisation
    Orb - Orbivilion
    Pet Shop Boys - Very
    Kate Bush - The Red Shoes
    Oasis - What's the Story
    Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    Soul II Soul - Vol. II: 1990 – A New Decade
    The Fugees - The Score
    69 Love Songs - The Magnetic fields
    The Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails
    Booth and the Bad Angel -Booth and the Bad Angel

tuga likes this.
  10. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Am I missing something, IRS REM doesn’t qualify for the 90’s.

The only Radiohead records I listen to regularly are OK computer & The bends but I have the others mentioned. In probably need to revisit them, Kid A always sounded like a ‘in a silent way’ rip-off for some reason.

11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

This adds to my contention that the 80s contained more varied music than the 90s. I quite like a few on your list but think Radiohead produced two of the decades better albums. I think ‘the man who’ stands up very well.

tuga likes this.
  12. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

They left IRS for Warner in 1988.

Green, recorded that same year, was their first Warner album.

13. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Yep, I know that but wasn’t sure what Tony meant. I think I bought Green when it first came out, great album IMO.

14. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

.... and it only got worse as time went on... By the time we get to the 2010's I may struggle to name 10 albums I really like never mind name a top 10! Tony L will no doubt love this... but that forces me to look a bit harder at how little attention I've given to searching out new music in my dotage:rolleyes:
    Ultimately we're both right in many ways.... We are no longer exposed to really good new music on the radio, TV, juke box down the pub etc etc in the way we once were, so, having good new music "seep in" and enthuse us to go and get the album not common any more (yeah there's Jools Holland and Radio 6 and they have inspired purchases but not the same "national shared experience" where say Bob Marley/Human league/whoever were on TOTP's and everyone was "did you see that last night!?")

I certainly don't accept that one's taste necessarily has a "sell by date" or anything like that but yes I guess "the yoof of today" has completely different ways of hearing about/becoming exposed to new music that just don't even occur to me.. off my radar entirely. My top few up to date bands or artists I heard about from recommendations here on pfm in fact. Has to said they are all either "timeless genres" (folk etc) or of a style that they could of been released in 1975... ie The Delines

15. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Missing....Presumed having a good time

[​IMG]

The story of this album was great - Knopfler, who was becoming a recluse after he got fed up with DS, made the album with and as a favour for his old mate from Leeds Steve Phillips, so that Phillips could afford to buy a house after his divorce...

16. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

I love Green too, probably my favourite from the Waner period.

For me think the decline started when Bill Berry left the band.
    I had a ticket for their '95 Monster tour which ended up getting cancelled after Berry's collapse on stage...

fegs likes this.
  17. fegs

fegs pfm Member

A few of mine, no particular order, some glaring omissions

Live Through This - Hole

Last Splash - The Breeders

Trompe Le Monde- Pixies

Nevermind- Nirvana

His ‘n’ Hers - Pulp

Dusk - The The

Tonight You Are The Special One - Earl Brutus

The Fat Of The Land - The Prodigy

Leftism - Leftfield

Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space - Spiritualized

Dirty - Sonic Youth

Extricate - The Fall

Teenager Of The Year - Frank Black

The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers

Republic - New Order

Automatic For The People - REM

Garbage - Garbage

ACR:MCR - A Certain Ratio

Rock Art And The X-Ray Style- Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros

Queens Of The Stone Age -Queens Of The Stone Age

Amber Audio and tuga like this.
  18. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

4AD... Great music and the best album covers ever!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amber Audio and fegs like this.
  19. fegs

fegs pfm Member

Correct, Vaughan Oliver being responsible for the artwork on both of these! and of course much more of the 4AD releases

tuga likes this.
  20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

My point is every decade is so full of amazing stuff I’d not be filling a list with less than the best very from a band. I know I’m being unfair on Automatic For The People as it is a bloody great album, but if I had to choose I’d take Life’s Rich Pageant or Document from the previous decade ahead. As for Radiohead I know loads of people prefer the more ‘guitar band’ stuff of Bends and OK Computer, but to be honest I’ve played neither for decades, it is Kid A, Amnesiac and In Rainbows that I always reach for, so I’d personally not pick them, especially in a top ten where I’d had to leave out things such as MBV, Pete Namlook, Tortoise, Aphex Twin, Black Dog Productions, Fugees, Portishead etc. I should really have done a 20. There was tons of great stuff in that decade, as there is in every decade.

tiggers likes this.