advertisement

BBC Proms 2021

You have to listen to the Herreweghe St Matthew for just how good period performance can be. Then listen to both of the B Minor Mass recordings for good measure.

I still find his first recording better than the second but I’m certainly biased since is was the first cd I bought as a kid.

The first recordings you hear when young certainly shapes later opinion - I still find it hard to find better (to me) performances than the 1951 Karajan Beethoven symphonies 3,5 and 7, first heard when I was 11.

Missed this thread, so just wanted to add…

We’ve (me, and one of wife/daughter/son/friend) been a few times, from around 2011 until a couple of years ago when we moved down to the coast. Will go again when retired, and have the time to make a couple of days stay around a concert or two.

Anyway, for those that go, but might never have sampled the delights of the Verdi Restaurant I can only highly recommend it. For the location the pricing is excellent, and the quality of the dining way above what I expected.

I've also missed this thread until now. As usual, I enjoyed the Proms broadcasts. I found this year a number of works I'd not heard before, and liked. Also some types of music concert - e.g. the one with a harp + kora - which really stood out. Good to hear works by Gipps. But I wish they'd also include more items by people like Rubbra or Finzie that tended to get 'buried' by the decades of classical music's obsession with random farts and raspberries a la Boulez. :)

BTW The version of the Passion that I like is the one Kathleen Ferrier! But I liked the Prom as well.

Alas, not been able to attend any Proms since I emigrated away from London nearly four decades ago. Thank heavens for R3.

advertisement

Back