advertisement

BBC best albums of the 80's poll results

Thinking about Tony's comment re black music, I have a grand total of 1 modern album from black artists out of about 600 records. A few more on cd and plenty of jazz, but only 1 from 1970 onwards and that's a dance album.

Tony L.

What is Black music? What is White music?
You missed my list which had >
Public Enemy
Dub Syndicate
Kid Creole
Dead Kennedys
and yes, the obvious Prince, Grace Jones and Michael Jackson.
(but I could re-do my list to fit in more Black artists that I purchased in the Eighties)

I could not agree more re PE, think they were the biggest hitters. Perhaps not the strongest decade for black music, only one Gil Scott Heron release (nick and rehab), Grace Jones also very good. MJ too poppy for me, but ok, can think of a lot way worse.

Fair play with the original post.

Thinking about Tony's comment re black music, I have a grand total of 1 modern album from black artists out of about 600 records. A few more on cd and plenty of jazz, but only 1 from 1970 onwards and that's a dance album.

He was correct with his post then.

Although PFM is leftish, not much regard for black music in general, no surprise to me though, Break Down the Door had little impact here, very strange indeed.

The old "Atlantic" soul was great music. I don't know exactly when it started to decline but in the '90s soul was definitely not interesting to me; it became too popish-easy-dumb.
I really dislike rap and hip-hop.

With the exception of those old soul giants and Ben Harper there isn't much (light/popular) black music that I like listening to.

But there's jazz and blues where black musicians and composer excel.

He was correct with his post then.

Although PFM is leftish, not much regard for black music in general, no surprise to me though, Break Down the Door had little impact here, very strange indeed.

See the Jungle thread I started a while ago.

What strikes me is that I don’t think in terms of black or white music until it comes up in something like this thread.

Interesting as Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley thought the English/British scene was way ahead.

I wonder how many of the pfm missive (sic) are aware of the Fashion label?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion_Records

This is a cracking introduction to Dance Hall, Lovers Rock and Jungle from Fashion Records for anyone wanting to dip their toe into “A-Class Top Notch Hi Hi Sounds In Fine Style”

triple album with download.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NRJ2JP4/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

featuring General Levy, Cutty Ranks, Asher Senator and many more. :cool:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
12 here, bought around release (and repeated purchase on CD for most), but only 3 or 4 that are remotely likely to get a spin from one year to the next.

I got sucked into the politics of it at the time and really struggled with whether it was a good thing or not. This was the time of boycotting South Africa in all ways possible to try and bring an end to the brutal apartheid regime and Paul Simon clearly broke through that. I do have a copy and quite like it, and I certainly acknowledge it brought African music to the attention of folk who weren’t say Peel listeners. With 20/20 hindsight I think it was a good thing, but it sure smelt a bit funny at the time.

Exactly how I felt about it. I have been to WOMAD a few times and am always interested in Peter Gabriel's take on all things Africa, he wasn't overly complimentary about Graceland and the buzz around it.

I never got into dance music, just not my thing. It’s a matter of taste but look at the key artists who were at the top of their game in the 80’s; the indie scene was probably at its peak also.

Yeah, I suppose it does depend on the genres that emerge in certina eras. Massive dance music fan so the 90s were amazing for me. Thing is I have always found something in nearly every genre I like, even today's' dance pop has its good points. A recent thread on here had people laying into modern pop and Kygo came up as an example of how poor it is.... hmmm... I really like Kygo... ah well :D

Only have two off that list, being The Stone Roses and The Smiths. The rest is just typical R2 fodder, no surprise.

I'm really enjoying all the alternative suggestions, makes me realise how many gaps my collection has.

I have only two out of the original stultifyingly mainstream list, one of which is an unreclaimed loan from a mate (ABC) and the other I bought last year (Paul Simon).

The 80s were brilliant in terms of genre breadth and innovation. Feels as though the evolution of music has slowed considerably in the last 20 years.

An off the top of my head list of my trajectory through the 80s.

Killing Joke - Killing Joke/What's This For?
The Damned - The Black Album
Theatre of Hate - Westworld
The Sound - From The Lion's Mouth
Spear of Destiny - Grapes Of Wrath /One Eyed Jacks
Scientist - Meets The Space Invaders/Rids The World of The Evil Curse Of The Vampires/Encounters Pac Man/Wins The World Cup
New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies/Low Life/Brotherhood
Big Audio Dynamite - This Is Big Audio Dynamite/No 10 Upping St
Run DMC - Run DMC/King Of Rock/Raising Hell
Schoolly D - Schoolly D
Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill
De la Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Fingers Inc - Another Side
Tyree Cooper - Tyree's Gotta Brand New House
The DJ Fast Eddie - Jack To The Sound
Ten City - Foundation
Inner City - Paradise

Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill

Yes, I forgot that ace album, and Paul’s Boutique - both get regular plays here.

Licensed To ill is a great singalong album.

Paul Revere >

“Now here's a little story I gots to tell
about three bad brothers you know so well.
It started way back in history with Adrock, MCA and me, Mike D.

Been had a little horsey named Paul Revere.
Just me and my horsey and a quart of beer.
Ridin' cross the land, kickin' up sand.
Sheriff's posses on my tail cuz I'm in demand.
One lonely Beastie I be
all by myself without nobody.
The sun is beatin' down on my baseball hat.
The air is gettin' hot, the beer is gettin' flat.
Lookin' for a girl, I ran into a guy.
His name is MCA, I said "howdy", he said "hi."

and blah blah blah...

and that phat 808 boings along, yeah boy.

advertisement

Back