Psychocandy
Raindogs
Fables of the reconstruction
King of America
Doolittle
Hats
Technique

and countless others I've forgotten.

I'm surprised that "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back" isn't in there.

Yes, a great record. But really? You expected it to do well in a Radio 2 type poll?

Aha - well done - that is a perfectly pitched ‘not sure if you are serious or not’ post!

Somewhat embarrassed to admit I have scored a full house, my top 20 would be somewhat different - Steve McQueen, Infected, Walk across the Rooftops, Rattlesnakes, Points on the Curve and Penthouse n Pavement defo in there.

Go to admit, a lot (all?) of the early stuff was totally amateurish and down-right tedious. The genres have come a LONG way since.

It was what it was at the time, White Lines is a stone cold classic, and Public Enemy and NWA literally blew my white, middle class, growing up in an almost totally white town mind. It was really challenging and that’s why I gravitated to it, even though I was the living breathing cliche of a white rap fan.

As I said, my top 20 would be very different, and my 80s selfs top twenty would be even more different, probably only THQID and WTTPD and maybe Purple Rain, would have appeared in my Dec 31st 1989 list from the BBC thing.

Where the hell is:-

Get happy
Searching for the young soul rebels
Sound Affects
Remain in light
You cant hide your live forever
Swordfishtrombones
The Smiths
Rattlesnakes
Psychocandy
Raindogs
Fables of the reconstruction
King of America
Doolittle
Hats
Technique

and countless others I've forgotten.

Ah yes "Get Happy! " has to be near the top! Elvis' best album:) Must drag out "Remain in light" for a play as well.... you know it used to be one of my most played albums but I doubt it's been played at Arkless Towers for 15 years plus!

Ok, lets do this thing something like right (not in any order):

Joy Division - Closer
Kraftwerk - Computer World
Grace Jones - Nightclubbing
Durutti Column - LC
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Propaganda - A Secret Wish
The The - Soul Mining
Miles Davis - Tutu
Gil Scott Heron - Reflections
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Sade - Diamond Life
The Fall - This Nation’s Saving Grace
The Smiths - The Smiths
Prince - Sign Of The Times
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Bhundu Boys - Hupenyu Hwepasi
Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel - Nail
R.E.M. - Life’s Rich Pagent
Manuel Göttsching - E2-E4
Happy Mondays - Bummed

PS I was wrong upthread about the techno/EDM thing time-wise as that didn’t break through in actual album forum until 1990-91, it was very much a thing in the ‘80s though, but only 12” single form at that time. I remember so many great nights at G-Love, Voodoo, Cream etc in Liverpool at the start of it. The nearest I can include is Computer World and E2-E4, which were a huge, huge influence of what was to come, and are both amazing, obviously. Rap was more a singles thing too, e.g. I wanted to include Grandmaster Flash, but really that’s all about the 12” cuts. Gil Scott Heron can represent that genre!

PPS Yes, I missed about 3000 other great albums out.

Ok, lets do this thing something like right:

Joy Division - Closer
Kraftwerk - Computer World
Grace Jones - Nightclubbing
Durutti Column - LC
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Propaganda - A Secret Wish
The The - Soul Mining
Miles Davis - Tutu
Gil Scott Heron - Reflections
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Sade - Diamond Life
The Fall - This Nation’s Saving Grace
The Smiths - The Smiths
Prince - Sign Of The Times
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Bhundu Boys - Hupenyu Hwepasi
Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel - Nail
R.E.M. - Life’s Rich Pagent
Manuel Göttsching - E2-E4
Happy Mondays - Bummed.

PS I was wrong upthread about the techno/EDM thing as that didn’t break through in actual album forum until 1990, it was very much a thing in the ‘80s though, but only 12” single at that time. I remember so many great nights at G-Love, Voodoo, Cream etc in Liverpool at the start of it. The nearest I can include is Computer World and E2-E4, which were a huge, huge influence of what was to come, and are both amazing, obviously. Rap was more a singles thing too, e.g. I wanted to include Grandmaster Flash, but really that’s all about the 12” cuts. Gil Scott Heron can represent that genre!

PPS Yes, I missed about 3000 other great albums out.

14 of those...

The nearest I can include is Computer World and E2-E4, which were a huge, huge influence of what was to come, and are both amazing, obviously.

E2-E4 is a great album but I'd suggest that this was more influential on EDM / Techno:

OK, so I cheated a bit, it's a compilation.

It’s alway a bit spurious talking about a decade and our tastes during that decade but Doolittle HAS to be included in any 80s consideration (if not Sufer Rosa as well).

.sjb

I only have one album on the list (The Smiths).

The absence of Lou Reed "New York" is criminal.

And now, to bring some common sense into it:D First five roughly in order and then random after that.

Prefab Sprout - Swoon
The Stone Roses
Prefab Sprout - Protest songs
Elvis Costello - Get Happy!
Deacon Blue - Raintown
Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's
Lou Reed - New York
Phil Collins - Face Value
Heaven 17 - From Penthouse to Pavement
Human League - Dare
Billy Bragg - Brewing up With Billy Bragg
Big Country - The Crossing
Elvis Costello - Spike
Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame
The Blue Nile - Hats
Kate Bush - The Dreaming
Thomas Dolby - The Golden Age of Radio
David Bowie - Let's Dance
Prince - Purple Rain
Fairground Attraction - The First of a Million Kisses

Loads of omissions and things I'd no doubt change if asked again next week of course!

IMHO it needs to have reached the top 100 to be included folks... A soundtrack of the 80's we can all share even if we profoundly disagree rather than "Who? Never 'erd of 'em!"

And now, to bring some common sense into it:D First five roughly in order and then random after that.

Prefab Sprout - Swoon
The Stone Roses
Prefab Sprout - Protest songs
Elvis Costello - Get Happy!
Deacon Blue - Raintown
Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's
Lou Reed - New York
Phil Collins - Face Value
Heaven 17 - From Penthouse to Pavement
Human League - Dare
Billy Bragg - Brewing up With Billy Bragg
Big Country - The Crossing
Elvis Costello - Spike
Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame
The Blue Nile - Hats
Kate Bush - The Dreaming
Thomas Dolby - The Golden Age of Radio
David Bowie - Let's Dance
Prince - Purple Rain
Fairground Attraction - The First of a Million Kisses

Reported for Phil Collins.

14 of those too

It’s alway a bit spurious talking about a decade and our tastes during that decade but Doolittle HAS to be included in any 80s consideration (if not Sufer Rosa as well).

It was a toss-up between Doolittle, Zen Arcade and Daydream Nation for my list. Any one would have been the right answer, and I forgot Double Nickel On The Dime, which is probably my favourite of the lot and the one I’m most likely to dig out for a spin.

advertisement

Back