advertisement

BBC Audience?

I can't bear the BBC at all, let alone R2, for which I've never been old enough (despite now being in my sixties). I find the relentless repeating of its noisy self-advertising on all of the channels utterly infuriating. I sometimes pick up a bit of PM in the car, and R3 is grown up and bearable.

I find it quite interesting that the so-called 'culture wars' seem to somehow crystallise around auntie. The conservative middle believes that it relentlessly preaches 'wokeism', whilst the progressive left sees it as the voice of a fascist Conservative government. It does seem to be in a bit of a lose-lose situation in that regard.

They might be popular with some.
Not me, and I have no wish to be forced to pay their ridiculous salaries like I do.

Did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?
Not at all. Sorry if I sounded a bit brusque. But I really don't object to ageing presenters who retain popularity and do a cracking job. It's not as if Blackburn is still presenting the Breakfast show on Radio 1. As for Bruce, I rarely listened but I know he was hugely popular. All 3 were/are superb broadcasters mho.

I can't bear the BBC at all, let alone R2, for which I've never been old enough (despite now being in my sixties). I find the relentless repeating of its noisy self-advertising on all of the channels utterly infuriating. I sometimes pick up a bit of PM in the car, and R3 is grown up and bearable.

I find it quite interesting that the so-called 'culture wars' seem to somehow crystallise around auntie. The conservative middle believes that it relentlessly preaches 'wokeism', whilst the progressive left sees it as the voice of a fascist Conservative government. It does seem to be in a bit of a lose-lose situation in that regard.

I’ve no idea why people get worked up about the BBC it is after all the state broadcaster so it’s no different from Pravda or comical ALI in that sense.

I like the BBC (TV) can’t stand the radio now except for radio 3, radio 4’s today programme is just pure government propaganda.

Vine is insufferable along with his programme which is basically radio daily Mail.

I listen to Jamie Cullum's hour long Jazz show on R2 every Tuesday.

I love the time span of his selections, going back almost 100 years right up to new releases.

He is getting better at presenting and there are usually quite a few tracks that lead me to investigate inventive artists that I haven't heard before.

The show is broadcast on different stations across the world.

I listen to Jamie Cullum's hour long Jazz show on R2 every Tuesday.

I love the time span of his selections, going back almost 100 years right up to new releases.

He is getting better at presenting and there are usually quite a few tracks that lead me to investigate inventive artists that I haven't heard before.

The show is broadcast on different stations across the world.

Jazz FM is excellent, they play a lot of JC's stuff, the premium subscription is £3.99 a month and well worth it no adverts and you can listen via anything ie mobile, PC, DAB etc no FM though.

Not so keen on JC's singing.

Dua Lipa followed him on a TOTP a while ago.
I always remember how the contrast worked in her favour.

Yes. Funny how Jazz FM isn't on FM.

Is it the lack of accountability to the electorate? :)

find it quite interesting that the so-called 'culture wars' seem to somehow crystallise around auntie. The conservative middle believes that it relentlessly preaches 'wokeism', whilst the progressive left sees it as the voice of a fascist Conservative government..

It does seem to be in a bit of a lose-lose situation in that regard.

During the Thatcher years, it often felt to me that the BBC was better at taking the government to task than the opposition parties were such was the weakness of Foot and Kinnock and it attracted criticism from the Tories at the time for doing this. And of course, there are the new Tories like Mogg and Dorries who want rid of it because they would prefer a private mediascape owned by their backers.

Latterly, the BBC has incurring the wrath of the hard left who see it as an instrument of the establishment and you can certainly point to the political histories of the current Chairman/DG and ex=public school appointees but I see this as balanced by the more left-leaning views of the editorial and commissioning staff.

So overall, I suspect the BBC is getting it about right most of the time.

Last edited:
Latterly, the BBC has incurring the wrath of the hard left who see it as an instrument of the establishment and you can certainly point to the political histories of the current Chairman/DG and ex=public school appointees but I see this as balanced by the more left-leaning views of the editorial and commissioning staff.

So overall, I suspect the BBC is getting it about right most of the time.
The wrath that threatens the BBC has came from threats of privatisation, Birt, Hutton and now the Tories, not the hard left

What left leaning views are being expressed?

The wrath that threatens the BBC has came from threats of privatisation, Birt, Hutton and now the Tories, not the hard left

I know its early and its Sunday morning but I don't understand how your question relates to my post and/or what you would like me to say.

Disregard my last - do you want me to find some examples of left leaning evident in their programmes etc?

advertisement

Back