advertisement

Battles

Tim Jones

pfm Member
I didn't even realise 'Gloss Drop' was out. They are quite hipster-friendly, but perhaps, happily, a little less than the late lamented LCD Soundsystem. 'Atlas' was my song of 2010. Perhaps 'Futura' could be 2011.

Sounds very well recorded and John Stainer is still the hardest working drummer in showbiz. Any views?

My wife does this sort of thing and assumes I know what shes talking about , you have a women attitude my lord:D

I only have "Mirrors" which is an exceptionally good album. Those guys must have practiced damn hard to get as tight as they are. "Tonto" is probably my favourite which verges close to the "Guitar Gamelan" of Crimso's 80s incarnation.

They've got progressively (groan) more "mainstream" - their early EPs are rawer and more noise based. But Gloss Drop has got better with repeated listens (even with the excessive distortion on the drum track) - Africastle and Sundome are the standouts for me.

There are a couple of good clips on YouTube from their gig in Dublin last November...

There is a remix ep out soon - http://www.rise-music.co.uk/browse/search/battles/item/234422/Battles-Dross-Glop-1.html
Battles proudly present the first in a series of highly anticipated remixes from their 2011 album Gloss Drop to be released on 12' vinyl with stunning re-works of the original album art. Remix duties were handed to some of this year's most in-demand producers - with the first 12" containing iconinc German label Kompakt's Gui Boratto and The Field - who start it off with dance-floor filling takes on the album's driving Math-rock anthems. Boratto supplies his signature Brazilian Techno style to "Wall Street", a jittery, harmonic jam - smoothed into a minimal epic. Sweden's The Field re-work Battles track "Sweetie & Shag" into a pulsating fit of blips and rumbles--Pitchfork recently said of his work, "If Willner doesn't hit at least some of your pleasure centers, well, forget your ears--your nerve endings might actually be dead."

advertisement

Back