advertisement

Battle of Britain

It's a funny thing, once you know the sound it's not forgotten. My Dad is ex RAF, he was in in the 60s. He's very deaf these days. One day, when they still lived near Coningsby, Lincs, a plane flew over, very high. I hadn't even heard any engine but he said, without hesitation "That's a Merlin!" He was right, the BoB Lancaster, heading for Coningsby, flew overhead.
PA474 has just flown low over Marchbanks Towers! What an amazing sight and sound. I didn’t believe it could be the real thing until it popped up on Plane Finder 20 miles away shortly afterwards. A great reward for deciding to brave the showers and mow the grounds.

I think I will write to the RAF graciously thanking them for the fly-past but gently pointing out that my birthday is still eleven days away. But it’s the thought that counts.

Last edited:
I was an aircraft (engines/airframe) apprentice for BA way back when. From memory, Skydrol had an irritant specifically added to it so that if you did get it in your eye or open cuts etc it stung like a bitch & so you were sure to thoroughly wash it out.
Other fluids such as MEK were kinda harmful, but obviously at 16-20 years old that didn’t stop us from playing around with it.
Happy days!!
Back on topic with the BOB movie, when filming it, they asked if they could actually blow up a hangar as part of the movie. This was at DUXFORD airfield. As the hangar was a listed building, permission was denied but they still did it anyway & is part of the movie. Needless to say the hangar had to be rebuilt & compensation paid to the then owners.

advertisement

Back