Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bath not draining...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by paulfromcamden, Sep 23, 2022 at 1:09 PM.

1. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

But does it now drain through the kitchen ceiling due to melting the pipes? :)

2. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Thankfully we're in a ground floor flat with concrete floors. As I mentioned upthread I'm a little uneasy that I can't access under the bath and see what's going on but at least I don't have to worry about flooding a neighbour below!

3. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

We had a nightmare a couple of years back with a kitchen extension that basically meant the out pipes for the bath, sink and toilet on 1st floor are now buried behind plasterboard. Over time, actually due to cleaning out the bath trap, and the associated pipe movement, the pipe on the outside of the wall had come away from its 90 degree connector, so was draining straight down into the cavity, and then into the kitchen at various points. Of course this all happened during seriously heavy rain, so we thought it was the roof, and the roofing company said they could see where the water was getting in, so paid to have it reflashed, only for the leak to continue. Ended up cutting holes all over the place trying to figure out which pipe was leaking! It's all still buried though, so I now try to keep the bath trap as clear as possible so I don't have to unscrew it ( I do at least have access to it though!)

hifinutt likes this.
  4. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

I love a story with a happy ending.

ralphj likes this.
  5. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

The OP has a chronic problem with his drains. All above him can affect his system? They must share some outlets and he is nearer to the main drain?
    Nothing to add to this particular thread but my house doesn’t share anything with anyone but, despite being quite careful about what goes down the plug hole, once a year on average I have to go up to the shoulder to clear an outside drain with an ‘s’bend before it tips into a main drain. I’m amazed at the amount of solid fats that come out. It’s a fatburg, just a bit smaller than that famous one in London.

6. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

@James Evans ouch!

I don't have a lot of confidence in the plumbing in this flat - seems to have all the hallmarks of Messrs Botchit & Scarper... Hopefully not today's problem though.

7. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans

You've probably flooded Chalk Farm tube station. :p

Alex S and paulfromcamden like this.
  8. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Excellent, and from now on shave your legs somewhere other than in the bath.

9. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Haha! No tubes this stretch of darkest Sarf London. I guess it could trickle down the hill to the DLR : )

10. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Hmm. I'm a bit worried this might be some sort of euphemism..

11. puddlesplasher

puddlesplasher pfm Member

If you have a wet/dry vacuum cleaner it will suck the stains out.

Ellenor likes this.
  12. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

13. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Good stuff, glad you got it sorted.

I was at a 20m new build house yesterday and the drains stank, … not a problem the builder, or the architect, or the plumber wanted to take responsibility for! They were all passing the buck.

14. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Be careful melting stuff in the bath, Paul

Rug Doc likes this.
  15. ralphj

ralphj pfm Member

As a teen I used to work in a pub kitchen, when the sink drains blocked we used to pressurise the pipes from the beer CO2 gas bottle!

16. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

A couple of months ago I donned a pair of overalls & rubber gloves & crawled under the house to clean out the trap of my blocked shower drain. I'd rather not use caustic solutions. Heavens! The thick rope of hair I pulled from the pipe was almost two metres long. I need to do the handbasin's drain next which is in an even worse location.

17. steveinspain

steveinspain pfm Member

Sounds like someone has passed more than a buck...

Rug Doc likes this.
  18. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

as a follow up, I would fill the bath with cold water, then pull the plug and let that drain.

19. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Always good fun. I've had the same in factories with lines that don't work. I just get all the suppliers in the same room and beat them all up every week until they sort it out. They always get bored before I do. Oh, and I'm the *nice* guy. :)

martin clark and Rug Doc like this.
  20. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

CCTV drain surveys prior to acceptance to the rescue; I've seen very large holes cut through GF slabs to fix [problems left by the groundworker] and all reinstated [inc. spendy, epoxy- dowelled reinstatement slab detailing .. oh, and finishes..] even rather -shortly before handover.

stevec67 likes this.