Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bath not draining...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by paulfromcamden, Sep 23, 2022 at 1:09 PM.

1. Funk

Funk pfm Member

I did this on the kitchen sink at our office as it was slow to drain (I suspect people emptying dregs from bowls of this, that or the other into the sink rather than into the bin first). I was successful in preventing water coming out of the overflow, unfortunately all it did was find its away out somewhere in the cupboard under the sink - a fact I only realised when a pool of water appeared from under the base of the unit next to the dishwasher... :(

2. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

First port of call for me is caustic soda (sodium hydroxide). Wear gloves and preferably goggles. Spoon the crystals slowly into a reasonable amount of water - never the other way round - and keep pausing to see how hot it gets as the caustic soda dissolves - don't go too far or it will boil/spit dangerously. Pour that in and it will address greasy blockages - often best overnight.

I have also used warm but not hot (less than 50 degrees C) sulphamic acid solution (washing machine de-scaler crystals or central hearing de-scaler) successfully to dissolve limescale build-up in drains. It's safer than sulphuric acid but not as strong so again it may need time.

3. mansr

mansr Objectionist

Is that some kind of audiophool remedy?

Alex S, flapland and John Phillips like this.
  4. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

5. CraShWilliams

CraShWilliams pfm Member

Ellenor likes this.
  6. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Exactly why i never put traps in inaccessible floors; unfortunately the bathroom was redone by a proper plumber last time so i'll be back to cutting a hole in the kitchen ceiling if the traps ever trap anything.

7. steveinspain

steveinspain pfm Member

I was just about to post about one shot. It is THE thing to use if you can actually buy it any more - my local plumbers merchant used to sell it to anyone but no longer can. I have a small stock of it that I'll keep for my use. If you can get it please follow the instructions as its not a nice product to mess with...
    https://www.fulcare.co.uk/product/one-shot-drain-cleaner-1ltr/

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

That suggestion is just a lot of hot air and could backfire and cause more blockage.:D

I've been impressed by Mr Muscle unblocker; it's cheap (£4?) and did the biz on my tenant's bath, where accumulated hair etc. was stopping water draining. Buy it anywhere and it's got to be worth a shot. It's probably constituted from chemicals mentioned above, but does get high positive feedback.

9. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Half a bottle of HG napalm down the plug hole.

Now we wait....

Alex S and gavreid like this.
  10. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Almost guaranteed... Kitchen sinks with rice and pasta, things that expand in the drain, can be a real nuisance if they get left to build up.

11. mansr

mansr Objectionist

They make several things sold for that purpose. There's a sodium hydroxide powder (pretty pure) as well as various solutions, some of which also contain sodium hypochlorite (bleach).

12. CraShWilliams

CraShWilliams pfm Member

@steveinspain indeed, it's very good stuff and incredibly difficult to get hold of - being in SE London, there's one or two places where it can still be purchased!

steveinspain likes this.
  13. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

14. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

I think I have used that one; I am sure it'll do the job.

The one @CraShWilliams mentioned looks familiar too.

I saw you've done the deed - good luck.

15. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I opted for a cup of tea and a digestive while I wait.

Nero likes this.
  16. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

:D

17. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

not too long ago i had this problem . tried the usual drain cleaning etc. I had to dismantle the whole drainage sytem and clean out . it was full of tile grout whichg the tiler had washed down the drain. that did the trick . flippin hassle though

18. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

Yep, feels like this is worse, a whole house rebuild me thinks :p @paulfromcamden.

(Being serious for a moment, hope you get it cleared Paul).

paulfromcamden likes this.
  19. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

i only had to rebuild the drainage from bath so not too bad !!

PhilofCas likes this.
  20. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

SUCCESS!!! Bath now drains properly! :)