advertisement

Bassenthwaite Lake merging with Derwentwater.

I've just come back from Keswick. Derwentwater was very high when I arrived on Wednesday, & it persisted down all night. Luckily, I'm a very early riser & managed to drive my car out of its parking spot before it got submerged. Phew! The water level's gone down a fair bit now apparently; I decided to drive back to Suffolk, rather than be marooned. Not as bad as when Storm Desmond hit in 2015 thankfully.

Blimey - 12" of rain in 24 hours. I thought we'd had it bad earlier this week with 3" of rain in 24 hours.

Blimey - 12" of rain in 24 hours. I thought we'd had it bad earlier this week with 3" of rain in 24 hours.
13.4” in 24 hours in 2015, Honister Pass, just up the road. 12+” in 2009. Bad flooding seems to be coming along every six years, but I guess this will become more frequent. And we were told the 2009 floods were a once in a thousand year event…

I live in Glasgow and we get a lot of rain but I’ve never seen rain like the rain we had in Keswick back in March 2019 it was biblical, I nearly lost the dog in the river up at the Mary Mount hotel in Borrowdale, thankfully he was fine after going in to retrieve a stick but he was carried down river about 500 yards.

advertisement

Back