advertisement

Basis of a very cheap sysem?

Radfordman

pfm Member
On ebay, there are Lepai LP-A6USB, LP A6USB, LPA6USB with Remote Control amplifiers for £17.99 inc postage.

Stereo integrated amp with FM tuner, remote control, SD card slot, etc etc.

Has anyone tried this unit?

Sorry about typo in the title, can't seem to correct it! I meant system of course.

If you get one that works, a cheap Tripath amp is fantastic. Best paired with very efficient speakers, and driven by a cheap, clean linear PSU. Reliability of those direct-imported models is pretty flakey: we've seen several (literally) go up in smoke or in some other way (figuratively) belly up.

If you get one that works, a cheap Tripath amp is fantastic. Best paired with very efficient speakers, and driven by a cheap, clean linear PSU.

In use at the moment are Tannoy HPD315's, so pretty efficient. I wonder how the Tripath would compare to my Radford STA25 III.

A TA2020 based amp like the Amptastic Mini T-Amp would be a great match for around £60. There is a new model due so no current new ones though.
I would have thought the Radford would be a LOT better with the HPD's based on my little experience with the STA-15, but then it is over 10x the cost.

In use at the moment are Tannoy HPD315's, so pretty efficient. I wonder how the Tripath would compare to my Radford STA25 III.

No reason why a Tripath amp shouldn't sound excellent if properly matched.
Everything boils down to what you are trying to achieve.

If you want something to simply amplify without doing anything else to the sound, I'd say a well implemented tripath amp, or the average £300 NAD is superior to any valve amplifier in existence at any price. Note there are strict criteria here - clean, neutral, garbage in garbage out transparency. Such equipment is incredibly inexpensive.

If the above is not what is required, or you have very specific loudspeaker loading then explore the hundreds of options and enjoy the ride.

I can't imagine how they make that for £18!

It looks like it should be pretty decent, so long as you don't ask more than a few watts from it. The datasheet for the amp chip says it gives typical 0.06% distortion at 1W. At 10watts it is giving a huge 10% distortion. You will need speakers with over 90dB sensitivity.

I can't imagine how they make that for £18!

It looks like it should be pretty decent, so long as you don't ask more than a few watts from it. The datasheet for the amp chip says it gives typical 0.06% distortion at 1W. At 10watts it is giving a huge 10% distortion. You will need speakers with over 90dB sensitivity.

Exactly, what a lot of facilities for less than £18. £18 includes postage!

My Tannoys seem to work on a very low powered single ended amp, so might be OK on this.

I'm using a Muse 2020 into Tannoy Chesters {87dB)at the moment and it sounds fab, no feeling of lack of power, lots of lovely tuneful bass.
The lepai may be based on the same chip, if so definately worth a go, the Muse (around £30 ish) is a better built amp though.

advertisement

Back