advertisement

Bargain Vinyl at Savvi

mellstock

pfm Member
Just like the old days? Dropped dow to the basement of the Savvi on the corner of Tottenham Court Rd and Oxford St (reminder for the infrequent visitor - that's here in London Town) and amazed to see rows of bargain LPs - many being American cut-outs.
However I had to fight my way through a band cd-signing which had attracted a 200-strong black t-shirted EMO queue to get at the stash. The band in question were Dragon Falls, as I had to be told. Also had to fight my way through the racket of their latest release. Call that music...? Castrati vocals, whistling guitars and processed drums sounding like a steamroller falling down a wooden staircase.
Anyway - today's haul, all @ 2 quid a pop:

Johnny Guitar Watson - Bow Wow
Bruce Hornsby & The Range - Scenes From The Southside
Jesse Colin Young - American Dreams
Ryuichi Sakamoto & David Byrne - Soundtrack of The Last Emperor

Sadly I couldn't quite stretch to a signed Dragon Falls cd and will no doubt have my unfortunate lack of taste harshly criticised for this terrible lapse.
Happy Savvying, Mellstock

I was in the Zavvi in TCR, and they did indeed had bargains - like the re-issue VU albums for £7 each is it. and a lot of Kraftwerk that. Some as cheap as £2, but picking were thin for me.

Worth a look though.

DS

However I had to fight my way through a band cd-signing which had attracted a 200-strong black t-shirted EMO queue to get at the stash. The band in question were Dragon Falls, as I had to be told. Also had to fight my way through the racket of their latest release. Call that music...? Castrati vocals, whistling guitars and processed drums sounding like a steamroller falling down a wooden staircase.
It was worse when I went in there a while back - Wet Wet Wet were playing!

Went to Zavvi TCR today. Sister Ray (ex:selectadisc) has better prices IMO. Worth a dig in the boxes though.

That's really bad news, there will be few proper independent record shops left soon. I hope Manchester's ever wonderful Piccadilly Records is fairing a lot better.

Tony.

For some reason Zavvi have just closed their store in centre of Edinburgh. Of course, the classical section there has been useless for several years, but it was still decent for DVDs.

That's really bad news, there will be few proper independent record shops left soon. I hope Manchester's ever wonderful Piccadilly Records is fairing a lot better.

Tony.

Picadilly seemed OK last week - They were the only place recently to be able to serve me up the Sonic Youth / Mats Gustafsson / Merzbow CD which I couldn't get elsewhere is it.

DS

advertisement

Back