advertisement

Bargain Box Sets

Niche I know but there are some Jazz lovers amongst the crew so will add this . Many may already have albums by Yusef Lateef but if not this is an excellent buy of some of his early recordings which are better because the recording process was simple and aimed at sound quality not radio plays . Eight albums over 4 CD's only the live recording is slightly below par .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BDT6NN6L/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Niche I know but there are some Jazz lovers amongst the crew so will add this . Many may already have albums by Yusef Lateef but if not this is an excellent buy of some of his early recordings which are better because the recording process was simple and aimed at sound quality not radio plays . Eight albums over 4 CD's only the live recording is slightly below par .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BDT6NN6L/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I bought the Booker Little set in the same series. No complaints!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09NRW7WLW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I haven’t read all 84 pages, but there didn’t seem many classical suggestions in the pages I did read. Something I have enjoyed is Francois Couperin complete works for harpsichord (Olivier Baumont) - 10 CDs for £20.70 from Amazon. I thought 10 CDs of one composer on one instrument was likely to be a bit daunting but worth a punt at that price. In the event I have listened to them many times with great pleasure.
The background to this is interesting. Back in the 60s I attended an evening class on historic keyboard instrument in the St Cecelia collection. The lecturer played some Couperin on a French harpsichord and I was really surprised by the sound which had wonderful deep bass notes - much warmer and more resonant than the German instruments which could be a bit clattery. I’ve never forgotten that sound and have bought Couperin records from time to time - Raphael Puyana on vinyl, Christophe Rousset and Pierre Hantai on CD, without ever getting that deep bass. So I got the Baumann as one last try, and have finally got the sound I remembered. He plays on one historic instrument and 2 modern copies of period correct instruments.
Another thing I remember from those classes. Harpsichords have vertical ‘jacks’ which rising pluck the string with a quill (raven feathers are best) set in a round hole in the wooden jack. But if you want a different sound you could use leather mounted in a square hole. If you restore an instrument with round holes there is no doubt - it must have had quills. But if it has square holes it has had leather strikers but may have been converted from quill because the square holes are larger. There were 2 restorers at the collection who disagreed about one instrument and each kept a personal set of jacks, one having quills while the other had leather!
G

I see the 35 CD Caravan set, Who Do You Think We Are, is now just £175 at Burning Shed. It’s the same at Amazon, where you can enjoy free post as well.

SMABX1140-MOCK-UP-sm.jpg

Well decided to pre order the Landscape box set but switched to Amazon as the postage of £4.50 on the Townsend site made it more expensive as I get free delivery with Amazon .

advertisement

Back