advertisement

Bar Raised Again - or not?

Ian,

Sorry, my mistake. Haven't I warned you about the dangers of going into a camera store when hepped up on goofballs?

(I have no idea what that means but Chief Wiggum said it once.)

Joe

Oh dear, I seem to have bought a secondhand mk 1 Canon 5D today, with a 50/1.4 attached.

Bloody hell that was quick! Which fiddy 1.4 have you got? The same one I have (EF black thing, but not one of the fancy L lenses)?
When you get bored of it, can I have a go please? ;)

In the spirit of Ken Rockwell's meaningless tests.

ISO 1600 1/40 @ 1.4

maneki.jpg

100% crop:

crop.jpg

That's bloody impressive if you ask me. No noise reduction applied, btw, just raw saved as jpeg in PS.

Yeah that's the lens I have. Notice how they make it look all shiny and metal in the review pic :)

heh heh. I'll give it a go, but I think my Zuiko 50/1.8 will end up on it most of the time. The Canon is probably decent, but I much prefer an aperture ring on the lens.

I must be hepped up on goofballs and hallucinating, as it looks as though Ian took a shot of one of those brass Chinese cats. ;-)

Don't let me near a camera store...

Joe

Ian,

Japanese. Maneki Neko. It's battery operated, the arm swings backwards and forwards :)
Japanese? Weird. All the Chinese restaurants here have one, and always facing toward the door.

For good luck, apparently.

Joe

Yep, it's a good luck symbol all over Asia. You see it absolutely everywhere in Japan. I have one on my key ring too :)

Me too. Quite often in b&w too. The out of the camera b&w jpgs are pretty bloody good when it's set to monochrome RAW+JPG. Interesting.

advertisement

Back