advertisement

Banning escooters on trains

Cars have abs , airbags , side impact bars
E scooters have fresh air to protect and are lethal on busy main roads which is where they are mainly used even government hire ones

From my personal observation - the overwhelming majority of e-scooter riders I see are;

Teenagers
Wild
Anti-social
Treacherous
Shitheads

We have a pedestrian high street. You have to dismount if you are on a bike but these e-scooter riders don't.

You can imagine it's not great, as they weave in and out around the general public.

Yeah, you guessed it. I'm not a fan.

From my personal observation - the overwhelming majority of e-scooter riders I see are;

Teenagers
Wild
Anti-social
Treacherous
Shitheads

We have a pedestrian high street. You have to dismount if you are on a bike but these e-scooter riders don't.

You can imagine it's not great, as they weave in and out around the general public.

Yeah, you guessed it. I'm not a fan.

What’s also puzzling is that they’re not cheap. Where’s all the money coming from?

I saw some teenagers in the Peaks earlier, they were on some kind of e-Uniball device, they were riding on bridle paths & lanes. Looked like great fun, they probably arrived by train. They were all well behaved.

I nearly had a head on with a sheep on Thursday, should we ban them.

I like how we are now categorising near misses with equal weight to actual collisions. By this measure I have near misses every day just by walking on a footpath near a main road;)

A right subset of reactionaries on here, do you walk around waving a walking stick?

Is there any evidence of major incidents, deaths etc that show the various ‘e’ devices to be more dangerous than the car?

Let’s not confuse perception with reality.

Interesting that it’s easier to put someone on ignore than to have a reasoned discussion…

Interesting that it’s easier to put someone on ignore than to have a reasoned discussion…

Yes it is. Come back when you’ve tried that for several pages with someone and let’s see if you feel the same then. Happy to apologise in advance to a certain poster who isn’t even on this thread and who is forever on my ignore list explicitly because every response was never a response. It involved either a shift in the subject being addressed; a complete change of subject; a question (that you then get accused of not answering) or a straw man.

There are plenty here who would love a reasoned discussion but when repeatedly faced with the above then life is absolutely too short to bother.

Yes it is. Come back when you’ve tried that for several pages with someone and let’s see if you feel the same then. Happy to apologise in advance to a certain poster who isn’t even on this thread and who is forever on my ignore list explicitly because every response was never a response. It involved either a shift in the subject being addressed; a complete change of subject; a question (that you then get accused of not answering) or a straw man.

There are plenty here who would love a reasoned discussion but when repeatedly faced with the above then life is absolutely too short to bother.

I get where you’re coming from Mike. While I don’t necessarily agree with everyone here I try not to ignore anyone on anything no matter how absurd their opinion or how hard they might be trying to troll. I think we otherwise risk entering into an echo chamber…

As for e-scooters: If the infrastructure is in place then I don’t have a problem. They certainly do not belong on the pavement (either ridden on or dumped upon).

I’m the same. I try my damndest to engage but equally one has to balance that with asking myself whether it’s the best use of my time and the potential impact on your own mental health. No-one on their death bed will ever say “I wish I’d spent more time discussing things with strangers on the internet.”

Last edited:
Great epitaph. Think I’ll use it. As for e-scooters, what are the statistics as opposed to anecdotes to support either side?

I get that they can be annoying but it's a minority of people being dicks, it's a complete false equivalence compared to the impact of cars. If a hire cycle is blocking the pavement, I can simply move it, cant do that with a car.

So still no evidence, just a semi jokey opinion piece from the Guardian? I do think docked schemes are better but they require more infrastructure & I guarantee people will moan about this, especially if they take up a parking space. Look at all the opposition to cycle hangers.

you cant simply move e scooters , they are extremely heavy and are alarmed . when they are left blocking drivways and pavements they are a real PITB .. we know this from experince

Easiest way to turn people against them for me was trying to shift them off the pavement whilst holding my guide cane in my other hand. The offers of help were instant and people who would have otherwise tutted at their location but walked on suddenly came to help and saw the issue in a new light.

you cant simply move e scooters , they are extremely heavy and are alarmed . when they are left blocking drivways and pavements they are a real PITB .. we know this from experince
Fair point. Sounds a bit like something else also;)

We don’t have them in Sheffield. My son used them a fair bit when in Newcastle. It does sound like there is a potential proliferation in London with different boroughs running their own schemes; this isn’t an insurmountable problem though.

advertisement

Back