advertisement

Bang & Olufsen Beovox CX50s

Puggie

pfm Member
So I acquired a tatty pair of these of the bay of fleas with rotten surrounds for pocket change. I was really buying them for the funky aluminium enclosures with the intention to just use the boxes and fit 'better' drivers, possibly just a single full range and maybe a small class D TPA3116 type amp. My plan was to powdercoat the now tatty cabinets in white and get some flesh grille cloth on the frames, then sort the internals.

I'm now wondering am I doing them a disservice, I was looking at the Mark Audio Alpair 6.2m and port through the tweeter hole (3d print a flare and use off the shelf plumbing pipe), or one of the Faital Pro 4FE32 full range drivers and keep the tweeters, just adjusting the xover in necessary. Both options look relatively simple with a very little bit of trimming of baskets and baffles. But am I missing a trick just re-foaming the original drivers. I've only tried one sat vertical (the surrounds are shot) and that worked ok. I've seen rubber surrounds mentioned. Is this a route I should be more seriously considering?

I've never heard a pair so I have no reference, BUT other B&O stuff I have heard (all this millennium) has honestly impressed. These are destined for the kitchen in all likely hood, not a reference system by any stretch.

Predictably, I’d recommend that you re-foam the woofers and tidy up the cabinets.

They’re surprisingly decent little speakers!

advertisement

Back