advertisement

Bang-for-buck power supply upgrade; or, musings on anticipating audio improvements as a neophyte

gustav_errata

pfm Member
I do have a question at the bottom, so if you're feeling "tl;dr" just skip ahead to the "---". But first, some things I've been thinking about from my perspective as a newbie here, especially during these strange times of lockdowns and social distancing. So apologies if this is a bit longer than usual posts.

I bought my first stereo this past year, upgrading from a Cambridge Audio TV base to a Naim NAC112/NAP150 pair, a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic 100, a SOtM sMS-500 streamer, and some Dali Oberon 5 speakers. The itch began about a year earlier upon listening to a friend's active monitors (no idea what the were) and realising just how much I was missing out on listening to music on a souped-up sound bar. But beyond that, I didn't really know what to expect, sound-wise. This was in the middle of the national lockdown, so listening sessions were out of the question. I have never had the opportunity to hear a high-end system, something truly out of my reach. I've never heard a valve amp, or a class A amp, etc. etc.

Working from home this past year, I arguably spent much more time listening on headphones than I did on my system. I have a pro audio ADC/DAC with a headphone amp that I've been using (Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1) and I had some AKG K240 headphones. I've had those headphones for more than 10 years and I was pretty familiar with their sound. Other than those, the only other headphones I was familiar with were some AKG Y50's that I use on the go. Reading about (and looking at the price of) higher end headphones, I just couldn't imagine what something better would sound like. I was used to the K240s, so they sounded fine. Later in the year I bit the bullet and bought some Sennheiser / Drop HD6XX (basically HD650's). Cheap by high-end standards, but significantly more expensive than my venerable K240s. At first they were a bit harsh, but either they mellowed out or I got used to them. Nothing really seemed too different to me. There was no "revelation". But then I plugged my K240's back in and...wow. They sounded muffled and dead in comparison. I was left wondering how I could have gone all that time feeling like the K240's were sufficient. And the thing was, I probably could have, but then I upgraded and it all became clear...

Back to my main system. I know that, upgrading from here, the largest gains would be achieved via new speakers or room treatment / correction. However, for a variety of reasons, from space issues to not wanting to get in a habit of serially upgrading (I mean, it's only been less than a year), I'm not open to the idea of upgrading the speakers yet. Likewise for the amps. Room treatment is out of the question. So that leaves either the smaller things, being the DAC or the streamer, or ancillary upgrades like power supplies and cables.

The streamer I'm happy with, the DAC could presumably use an upgrade at some point. But to the best of my understanding, the Dac Magic 100 is no slouch, and any differences with other DACs in my budget would be subtle at best. Cables likewise seem to me like they will be subtle at best and, for the cost, my money would be better spent elsewhere. For power supplies, on the other hand, it's difficult to gauge. From people's descriptions, they can make a big difference.

But, in all cases, they all circle back to the original problem: I really can't imagine what "better" would sound like in my system. You might say "well, if you're happy, don't worry about it" and, yes, you're probably right. But given the experience with the headphones, I feel like if I can afford a genuine, unambiguous improvement, I would be happy to save towards it. But if any "small" upgrades would be subtle or outright hokum, then I would rather just sit back and be content until I can afford/accommodate a major upgrade.

I still cannot go to a shop to listen to better systems to figure out with my ears whether an upgrade would be worthwhile. I would think that an ancillary upgrade would have to be tested at home anyway however I feel like I should be "in the market" for an upgrade before I commit to in-home trials. But I won't be in the market unless I'm sure that I really want some particular type of upgrade. I don't have the money for an upgrade now, but I would save for something if I want it. It all feels a bit circular.

So all of that to say that it's a bit of a weird time to get into building a stereo. But also, that I understand why it's simply not a common thing to do anymore. We get used to our audio sources and we can't imagine how it could really be better. If you're used to listening on some Google/Amazon/Sonos smart speakers, then the value of a "proper" stereo setup is more intangible, more unimaginable than, say, the upgrade from a TV soundbar to a 5.1 surround system for movies. It has to be experienced to be understood, but it's relatively rare, so it's likewise relatively difficult to experience without actively seeking it out.

---

Anyway. All of this musing did revolve around a question. Looking at those ancillary upgrades, I was mostly considering getting a power supply at some point this year. However, I have no idea which one to look into. What gear would benefit the most, in a completely unambiguous way, from a power supply upgrade (budget say 400-500)?

- Naim NAC112 via used Hicap, Flatcap, or new TeddyCap (and then, which one..?)
- Cambridge Audio Dac Magic 100 via linear power supply (but maybe money better spent on upgrading the DAC itself?)
- SOtM sMS-500 via either a linear power supply or SOtM's switching power supply if a used one pops up

I cannot imagine how any of these upgrades would sound, with greater difficulty imagining it as you go down the list. So if they're all subtle, then "none of the above" is also a suitable answer. Likewise, "it's not worth upgrading the power supply on such middling gear, so just enjoy it as it is" is also a suitable (if marginally disappointing) answer.

Speaking of not being able to imagine how something better sounds, there's also the possibility of having the 20 year-old Naim gear serviced within a similar budget, since I don't know its service history (seller said it was serviced in 2012, but no record at Naim or Class A for the S/N's in question). But I have no idea if they're even sounding "off", since I've never heard any Naim amps before! *sigh*

Anyway. Thanks for your patience through these bloggy thoughts. Any advice or further musing is welcome.

Last edited:
Have some fun. Buy a record player! :0)

It's on my to-do list but first we would need to buy a new house. The system is too cramped in our living room as it is and, as renters, I can't just install a shelf. Next step is shipping all my records over from the US...

Hopefully within the next couple of years....

Most people don't get Naim pre-amps serviced, they don't seem to go off. Naim power amps do but you can usually tell as they will make noises that are obviously not right. Crackling or rustling sounds for instance. If the amps sound OK I'd leave them alone.

Most people don't get Naim pre-amps serviced, they don't seem to go off. Naim power amps do but you can usually tell as they will make noises that are obviously not right. Crackling or rustling sounds for instance. If the amps sound OK I'd leave them alone.

Wrong. NAP250 can make odd noises due to the regulated supply but non regulated ones can go off without doing this and indeed often will due to the ludicrous advice Naim give to leave the amps switched on. Don't!

No experience of what I am about to suggest, so I am interested in what others think:

Since your thread is titled "bang for buck power supply......." what about a "mains conditioner"/regenerator/balanced mains?
If there is any effect with the above, then I would guess that all of your components would benefit from a single outlay?

Wrong. NAP250 can make odd noises due to the regulated supply but non regulated ones can go off without doing this and indeed often will due to the ludicrous advice Naim give to leave the amps switched on. Don't!

You will be pleased to know that I am shutting off the amps every night. No idea what the previous owner did though.

No odd noises other than the faint hiss that I'm given to understand is typical for the brand.

Knowing then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have gone with Naim but here we are, might as well enjoy it.

Don’t the naimies on the forum consider the 112 to be a bit average?
If so may be better to use funds upgrading that?

Knowing then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have gone with Naim but here we are, might as well enjoy it.

Enjoying what you have, what a good idea! ;0)

You shared an experience you had with headphones. The question is, what would have happened if you never bought the better ones? You loved the music on the cheaper ones, yes?

I've been playing this game for thirty-five years. Is my system better today than it was when I was in my teens? Yes. Do I love the music more because of it? Mmm, not so sure. If you decide you're going to start playing the upgrade game you're going to discover a few things.

It starts getting expensive, fast. From where you are now, a slight improvement is going to cost hundreds of pounds. A very slight improvement, and it just gets worse from there. What hi-fi nerds call a huge upgrade is usually something a sane person would hardly notice or miss. Yes, a top system is a a lot better than where you are now but it costs feck-off money to get there. Thousands.

Most of the upgrades you'll make are not fundamental shifts in communicating the music. Some might be but very few. Mostly you'll get fractionally tighter bass, slightly smoother treble but the essence of the music will stay the same. If you're lucky!

Yeah, you could feck it up. Ask anyone who's been into hi-fi for a while and they'll all tell you about stuff they bought that screwed up the balance of the system. Sounded impressive at first but made the music worse.

What I'm saying is that the best reason to upgrade is because something is wrong and you want to fix it. If you like what you have there is a lot going for just leaving it alone.

What I'm saying is that the best reason to upgrade is because something is wrong and you want to fix it. If you like what you have there is a lot going for just leaving it alone.

I guess that's the gist that the better part of my brain (plus Mrs. Errata) tries to tell the other part. But in the example of the headphones, I am ultimately glad I made the upgrade. The new ones are genuinely better. Just knowing what's worthwhile, what to actually consider is tough. Not to mention there's a certain amount of shameful envy when reading about / seeing other peoples' systems here (again, without being able to imagine what they sound like).

Not to mention there's a certain amount of shameful envy when reading about / seeing other peoples' systems here (again, without being able to imagine what they sound like).

It's the cost. Yes, these systems might sound better but they'll cost a lot more too and the differences are usually not hat big. Sure, if you want to do that cool, it's a hobby lots of us have enjoyed. I just want you to have your eyes open. If you spend £500 upgrading your Naim amp the difference will be slight.

If you spend £500 replacing your Naim amp, it won't.

I'm trying not to get into that. He has a Naim amp just now and is perfectly happy with it so why suggest he change it? Better is subjective so why talk him into buying a different amp when there is no guarantee he'll like it? I like the sound of Naim amps and most of the other amps I've heard are not to my taste.

I'm trying not to get into that. He has a Naim amp just now and is perfectly happy with it so why suggest he change it? Better is subjective so why talk him into buying a different amp when there is no guarantee he'll like it? I like the sound of Naim amps and most of the other amps I've heard are not to my taste.
I'm not talking him into anything. I'm just suggesting that Naim is not the only game in town. He's relatively new to hifi, he may like a different flavour. I do. You like the Naim sound, great. However not everyone does and it is potentially a very expensive route to dissatisfaction if you spend your time chasing rainbows. I'd suggest before he invests as much as £500 he have a sniff round to see what else is out there. £500 worth of used Exposure would be potentially VERY interesting, that's before you start getting more adbeturous.

advertisement

Back