advertisement

Bands who were totally unhip but I bloody like 'em anyway!

RickyC6

Infuriate the frog-men
Graham Parker & The Rumour

Just listened to Heat Treatment - damn fine bar band stuff - big smile on me face!

Not quite sure where he was going with Back Door Love though
;-)

Cheers

Rich

OK
here we go
Celine Dion - shut up at the back! (singing in French of course)
Duran Duran
ABC
Mercury Rev
Coldplay

Bob
I'm not owning up to the rest though

I never realised Graham Parker was unhip.

I can understand bob mccluckie's list, but I don't bloody like them anyway!

I will own up to Meatloaf though (a LONG time ago), but I got over it.

I wouldn't agree that Graham Parker & The Rumour were unhip.

When Howlin' Wind was released it was highly regarded by critics and the public. Heat Treatment likewise. However, punk did seem to sweep away GP somewhat which was a damn shame, although "Squeezing Out Sparks' was viewed as a great return to form.

I've got virtually everything he's done (on vinyl) and love it. A huge bonus is that nearly every LP sounds fantastic with great punch and clarity.

Would recommend forum members tracking down the above 3 albums at the very least.

Thanks DS. I need to get Howlin' Wind - can you recommend any more recent albums by GP? I think the most recent I've got is Another Grey Area (1982!).

Cheers

Rich
PS Re unhip - i meant he never gets listed among the greats etc - underrated is perhaps a better description.

Re. the revised description of unhip -
Graham Parker definitely belongs on that list, but top of the list by a VERY long way must surely be John Martyn.
Neither would appear in any list of what I thought you meant by unhip.

Last night whilst grooving to an artist who had laid dormant in my record collection for about 20 years it meant:-
"artists who have laid dormant in my record collection for about 20 years and sound really good tonight!"

Just getting enthusiastic I guess - I'll calm down now - well till tonight anyway when hopefully something similar will happen. Chances are they will live alphabetically from 'P' onwards - yes its that stunningly nerdy process of "cleaning my record collection"!!

Others on the Rega last night included (in strict alpha order):-
Jerry Lee Lewis - Rockin' With
Paul McCartney - Band On The Run (technically Wings I know)
Van Morrison - Common One
New Order - Technique
Robert Palmer - Riptide (which I'm afraid got taken off when the horrible 80's drum sound of Hyperactive came on!)

Basically - GP kicked the rest of 'em into touch!

Cheers

Rich

advertisement

Back