advertisement

banco de gaia

jan tomczak

pfm Member
i was introduced to this by a very good friend almost 20yrs ago and had completely forgotten about it until we decided to do a 10 song summer challenge and he put forward the track 'china' from the album 'last train to lhasa'.

a wonderful techno/ambient instrumental album with a few vocals thrown in here and there, and glorious 3 dimensionality effect. if you are into your electronica and have not heard of this artist then give it a go...it's a masterpiece that takes me back to my 'rizla' days in the 90's :)...quite superb!

Yes great to chill out to.

Haven’t heard it for years either. Will get this and the Saafi Brothers out and imagine life pre kids and responsibilities. . . when your main responsibility was not getting caught. :)

Last Train is an absolute classic of that trippy, dancey 90's rave scene. The chillout remix disc is also a stonker. Maya used to get a fair old spin as well. Long ago & far away.

Another big fan here too... I've been following Toby since picking up a limited edition three CD release of Last Train to Lhasa from HR Cloaks Records in Croydon back in 1995... most of his back catalogue can be sampled and downloaded via Bandcamp :)

https://bancodegaia.bandcamp.com/music

Having read this thread I bought a used copy of Last Train which I'm trying to rip, but it's taken 6 hours so far and track one is still not done.
I'll give it another day or two......

Oh forget this ripping computer nonsense, just play it!!! Insert giant smilie!
I have to as I don't have a CD player, just the pc, and that's nowhere near the stereo.. Fingers crossed it has ripped by now (a surprise visit by a daughter means I can't get in to the computer room..)

You need is a nice long lead running from PC to Amp.
It will be fine. Not at all unsightly and no chance of anyone tripping up on it
:)

You need is a nice long lead running from PC to Amp.
It will be fine. Not at all unsightly and no chance of anyone tripping up on it
It seems not - the CD is now ripped, and is now being copied onto my nas, so in a few minutes, after an epic 24 hours or so, I may be able to hear it..
Hope I like it!

Saw him play many times at Megadog etc on the early / mid 90's, usually alongside others like System 7, Children Of The Bong, Eat Static, etc...

Saw him play many times at Megadog etc on the early / mid 90's, usually alongside others like System 7, Children Of The Bong, Eat Static, etc...
Planet Dog was a great label with some fine acts. This is a great sampler...

MI0000083844.jpg

Disc two of my CD copy of LTTL. There's also a 3 disc edition that I didn't get my hands on.

Be careful of that one as it was from the infamous PDO pressing plant and suffers from disc rot (browning from the outside in). A lot of Planet Dog and Warp stuff bought at the time goes this way, so I’d definitely not overpay for the triple CD without seeing it in person. If it hasn’t rotted by now it is likely ok. The annoying thing with disc rot on this type of music is it does impact play as the albums tend to be long and use the whole surface to the edge, whereas most rock doesn’t so still plays fine even if the edge is rotted.

advertisement

Back