advertisement

Bananary pudding

Bananas are one of the very few common fruit that I do not routinely eat, maybe because they made my ex heave?????

It looks very like Tarte Tatin filling.
The original uses apples, but Lloyd Grossman has published one using pears. I am no great fan of the apple version, but pears!!!!!
I have made the pear version for a few people over the years and even people who are no fan of desserts ask for seconds and repeat performances. You need rocha or bosc or beurre bosc pears for the very best version, and it is a slow job reducing and reducing (and reducing) and eventually making the toffee sauce in the bottom of the pan. Use pate brisee rather than pastry too. It needs just a splash of cream, preferably Jersey for me. and a glass of chilled sweet wine with a hint of toffee to the taste.

we do pineapple, no sugar.....if the juice needs thickening, then arrow root does the trick....there is enough sugar in the fruit juice....I often add a squeeze of lemon to sharpen it up

I love a banana or two. There was a Vietnamese restaurant in Soho that had a desert of banana fritters with coconut ice cream - to die for (and probably from if taken to excess)

Bananas are one of the very few common fruit that I do not routinely eat, maybe because they made my ex heave?????

It looks very like Tarte Tatin filling.
The original uses apples, but Lloyd Grossman has published one using pears. I am no great fan of the apple version, but pears!!!!!
I have made the pear version for a few people over the years and even people who are no fan of desserts ask for seconds and repeat performances. You need rocha or bosc or beurre bosc pears for the very best version, and it is a slow job reducing and reducing (and reducing) and eventually making the toffee sauce in the bottom of the pan. Use pate brisee rather than pastry too. It needs just a splash of cream, preferably Jersey for me. and a glass of chilled sweet wine with a hint of toffee to the taste.

How hard should the pears be? Nice recipe btw

I love a banana or two. There was a Vietnamese restaurant in Soho that had a desert of banana fritters with coconut ice cream - to die for (and probably from if taken to excess)

Back in our restaurant days we served that as well, VERY popular.

Just to balance out the non likers of bananas, I absolutely loathe pineapple, everything about it, smell, texture and flavour makes me want to heave.
I'll definitely stick with the nanas!

How hard should the pears be? Nice recipe btw

The pears need to be about as firm as a moist hard cheese, so sweet, but not juicy, and easily peeled without damage to the fruit and just a little juice released as they are peeled. Avoid conference, but maybe comice would work too, the ones mentioned I have tried and they work well. They should shrink as they cook but stay whole.

I reckon I need at least 90 minutes to make the filling. To start, a 10 inch frying-pan will be very full so that turning takes care. That will fill a 9-10 inch flan tin (I have no Tatin tin), when cooked, so they reduce enormously. To begin with the pears just need turning as they release masses of juice but for the last 30 minutes or so they will need almost constant very slow, gentle turning to avoid burning even on a very low heat. It IS worth it.

I will check the recipe when I get home but I think that I use less butter than Lloyd gives, as memory says that his recipe makes rather greasy (buttery) toffee sauce. The cold sauce should be almost set, a bit like a very chewy toffee. Best eaten just warm.

I have had a quick search online and not found the recipe, but it is in this book, worth buying at full price for this recipe alone -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0718142845/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Great post thanks. We have a conference pear tree in garden that is very productive - many don't ripen, so i will try with some harder fruits come September.

May of course experiment from Waitrose beforehand, if there is any food left on shelves.....

Using hone-grown conference will be cheap enough but I think that you'll find the tart pretty boring. I am reasonably certain that I have tried them (there is probably a note pencilled-in in the book).

I inherited a conference with my current house and seldom pick any as I find them uninteresting compared to pretty much any other pear variety (barring Asian pears, another fruit entirely admittedly).

I ought to make a Tatin, I haven't had one for years. Pear Tatin sounds good, I had a mate with a pear tree in his garden and one day I enrolled his kids in picking and peeling them to make a crumble. They had a great time, especially when it came to eating it. I never worked out the pear variety, they were round, like apples, and the flesh was firm, again like an apple.

I learn't a fast Tarte Tatin at a BBQ cooking school I attended a couple of years ago made in a lidded BBQ. I get asked to make it at pretty much every bbq I do plus as a visiting chef ! Not sure it works for the hard pear variant but sounds worth trying in the kitchen.

........... I never worked out the pear variety, they were round, like apples, and the flesh was firm, again like an apple.

In an English garden it is by far most likely to be comice, although they never get absolutely classically apple-shaped, they can get close, but with the stalk protruding rather than sunk.

As the sauce is meant to be toffee, getting that right would be quite some achievement by any quick route.

advertisement

Back