advertisement

Ban on petrol and diesel cars from 2030

Running a PHEV has given me some insight into how far away we are from having the necessary infrastructure in place for a wholesale move to EV's, and also reinforced my view that the best use case currently for EV's is where you very rarely need to rely on public chargers and just use one at home.

Running a PHEV has given me some insight into how far away we are from having the necessary infrastructure in place for a wholesale move to EV's, and also reinforced my view that the best use case currently for EV's is where you very rarely need to rely on public chargers and just use one at home.
Absolutely this.
Possibly Tesla users are better looked after, but in general use, on longer journeys, I am happy with my choice.

Been in Sweden all week. Green focused economy, EV infrastructure nowhere near ready. Like the UK it’s a stick with no carrot.
Sweden is doing a lot more than the UK, but faces much bigger job: Sweden is twice the area of the UK with a sixth of the population, and while most people live in cities (88% versus 84% in the UK), there’s a lot of near-empty countryside between those cities, and the Northern part of the country is very, very sparsely populated - but still has places people travel between. Within the UK, only Scotland has the same sort of issues to deal with.

Within the UK, only Scotland has the same sort of issues to deal with.

A lot of my driving of the PHEV so far has been in remoter areas of Scotland where the chargers are few and far between. So far that's been in the quieter periods for tourism but I can imagine on routes like the NC500 there might be quite a bit of contention for charging points in the summer months.

I imagine that Sweden being quite a lumpy country would also have an effect on range?
The guys who drove me around are all hanging onto their ICE cars as an EV just doesn't work for them in Sweden; big country concentrated in 3 major cities with little to no EV charging infrastructure available anywhere.

Tesla are just trialling opening up their chargers for general EV use, the initial issues being not all charge ports are in standardised locations meaning the cable wont reach for some cars plus if yours is on the opposite side to a Tesla then you take up two bays for one charging station.

Sweden is doing a lot more than the UK, but faces much bigger job: Sweden is twice the area of the UK with a sixth of the population, and while most people live in cities (88% versus 84% in the UK), there’s a lot of near-empty countryside between those cities, and the Northern part of the country is very, very sparsely populated - but still has places people travel between. Within the UK, only Scotland has the same sort of issues to deal with.

A little old lady neighbor told me the other day that in the north of Sweden everybody is doing 90 mph on the long stretches between populated areas. The faster you drive, the quicker you get there, less time to drain the batteries. Or am I thinking wrong now? ;)

The guys who drove me around are all hanging onto their ICE cars as an EV just doesn't work for them in Sweden; big country concentrated in 3 major cities with little to no EV charging infrastructure available anywhere.

Cold climate as well, so hammers the range.

Tesla are just trialling opening up their chargers for general EV use, the initial issues being not all charge ports are in standardised locations meaning the cable wont reach for some cars plus if yours is on the opposite side to a Tesla then you take up two bays for one charging station.
Not unique to Tesla, although their shorter cables makes it a bigger issue. DC charging cables are short out of necessity (shorter cable = lower resistance = lower heat and less energy loss), and depending on where your charging port is, you often have to do a bit of manoeuvring to bring your car’s charging port into range of the cable.

Tesla is considering the introduction of “demand pricing” for non-Tesla owners (but wait: it’ll apply to Tesla owners later, even if at a lower price) to prevent stall-hogging. I used to work on a project that involves demand-pricing, and I doubt it will work to prevent stay-ons: all it will do is allow rude people to buy off their conscience by spending more.

Tesla is considering the introduction of “demand pricing” for non-Tesla owners (but wait: it’ll apply to Tesla owners later, even if at a lower price) to prevent stall-hogging. I used to work on a project that involves demand-pricing, and I doubt it will work to prevent stay-ons: all it will do is allow rude people to buy off their conscience by spending more.
It’ll work if the overstay pricing is swingeing enough. They could use that to subsidise the rate for legit users.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54981425

Nice idea, but is this in any way practically realisable? It's nice to set high goals, but only if you're happy to make marks higher up the wall than would otherwise have been the case. Actually clearing the wall seems cloud-cuckoo land - or is that where I'm residing?
Remember this is the British Government and they are incapable of making anything happen

Sweden has been using biomethane powered cars for years.
Makes more sense to me..

advertisement

Back