advertisement

Ban on petrol and diesel cars from 2030

@lordsummit

I’ve got a Zoe and this is one of my options shortly. How is the range? 200 miles is easy in the Zoe in summer.
500 will be less than that. The official WLTP range of the 500 electric is 320 km, while the official range for Zoe is 395 km. So, if your current driving style gets you 200 miles from your Zoe, you could expect around 160 from an electric 500 in summer.

My model is the soft-top which is officially 305 km [190 mi] WLTP - like all soft-tops, it’s heavier than the base car, with higher aerodynamic drag. I got it at the end of Summer last year, and through August and September while it was still warm I could get about 250 km [155 mi]; in the coldest part of this Winter, that figure dropped to about 220km [135mi]. So, like you I get about 80% of the WLTP range in Summer, and 70% in Winter. Motorway driving will drop that further.

The 500 has faster DC charging (85 kW, and unlike some models, it genuinely transfers 85 kW for a long time during charging) but slower AC charging (11kW) than the Zoe.

@gintonic I don’t find it sluggish, certainly not around town - but, after the initial kick from 0~10mph the acceleration is very linear so you don’t really feel like you’re picking up speed until you look at the speedometer. That initial high-torque leap off the line makes it really fast to 50km/h [30 mph], but the car takes a lot longer then to reach 100 [62mph] - I think it’s officially around 9 seconds 0-100km/h, which is nothing to get excited about if you’re coming from anything with “sports” pretensions, but this is a city-car, and the very fast pickup to 50km/h makes it feel faster from traffic lights than any petrol car I’ve driven that had less than 300 bhp on tap.

On the subject of power, the electromotor is the high-capacity 500e models is around 122 bhp, and the car weighs about 1300 kg. That power figure is misleading, as it is for all EVs, because the torque curve is pretty much flat up to maximum motor speed: so, once you’re at open-road speed, acceleration is still more comfortable from 100~130km/h (60~80 mph) than you’d find in a typical small diesel or petrol car. Speed is capped at 150 km/h [93 mph], probably to save battery - it certainly keeps going after 140.

If the regular 500 is too slow, and you don’t care about range at all, then there is an Abarth model coming later this year, which will add another 30 bhp or so to the power - performance is supposed to be equivalent to the current Abarth 695 petrol. Even though there is no change in battery capacity, the WLTP range for the Abarth model is still around 320 km because EVs are like that: motors are pretty light regardless of output, and running a 150kW motor at 70kW has pretty much the same consumption as running a 100kW motor at 70 kW, so you will see the same official economy figures for a range of peak powers: but consumption in an EV depends much more on your accelerator-foot than it ever does in a petrol car.

If the regular 500 is too slow, and you don’t care about range at all, then there is an Abarth model coming later this year, which will add another 30 bhp or so to the power

is that the Arbarth 500e Scorpionissima? A special edition with only 1949 units in the production run

I’ve one of the new FIAT 500 electrics and it is a great little car. I came from an Alfa Romeo, and while I miss the lovely steering and extra space of the Alfa (and the convenience of filling up anywhere), I don’t miss having an engine. Electric drive is like the best petrol car you’ve ever driven - zero throttle-lag, no flat spots, and a steadily-tapering power delivery all the way up to top speed, and the 500’s default drive mode responds to throttle and brake inputs exactly like a traditional car does: there is a “one-pedal” mode, but from the factory it drives like a car, not a golf-cart.
And it’s quiet: despite its small size, the little FIAT is actually pretty good at motorway speeds - not having engine noise in the cabin too makes the road and wind noise of a small car easy enough to live with. Anything over 120km/h (75mph) eats the battery, though.
My daughter-in-law has one of these electric Fiats & loves it to bits. It certainly is a rather fetching little thing.

is that the Arbarth 500e Scorpionissima? A special edition with only 1949 units in the production run
I think the Scorpionissima is a launch series for an Abarth 500 model, rather than the sum total of production. They’ll sell off 1,949 specials in those body-colours (I quite like the blue colour, actually) and with the trick sports-seats, then start series production in regular colours and trims later in the year.

More interestingly, the car finally goes on sale in the USA in (calendar-year) 2024. For the US market, I suspect they may have to increase the battery capacity (the average US car journey is much longer than the average European car journey, and the US EPA’s official range test is much less forgiving than our WLTP), and if they do, that might mean an extended-range version coming for us Europeans.

The V6s weren’t turbo though? I seem to recall turbo & non turbo cars competing, non turbo couldn’t keep up.

I massively admire any drivers from that era, took some skill.

Nope, the V6's were all 1.5l turbos, started by Renault then Porsche, Ferrari and Honda. In fact Alfa made a V8 turbo as well but it was terrible. There were 3.0l NA engines at the same time up until 1986 when NA was not permitted. The NA were V8's or V12's

Forgot there was another 4 cylinder turbo engine made by Hart in the Toleman.

BMW look to be committing to Hydrogen. I think this is great news.

From The Times:

“BMW is set to be the first big European carmaker to take the hydrogen plunge and go into production by the end of the decade on a fuel-cell zero emission passenger car.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...1?shareToken=8a4693f8ec87a83f8bd19cace6780625

Blimey, they've taken long enough. I can remember reading articles back in the early 90s that BMW were looking at Hydrogen, even having an E38 750i converted to run on the stuff.

bmw-750hl-e38-hydrogen-v12-cleanenergy-concept-2000-385583.jpg

ISTR, they even paid for one (or maybe two) filling points in the UK.

The 750i was slightly different, in that it was more-or-less a conventional V12 engine, which could switch between petrol or hydrogen fueling.

Either 100 or 200 car were produced, to mass-production standard, and distributed to politicians and pop-stars to demonstrate what could be done with hydrogen.

This latest development uses a hydrogen fuel cell instead of a reciprocating engine. Again, it's a demonstration of what's possible.

Hydrogen has obvious advantages and disadvantages. It could be attractive in some markets, if a hydrogen refueling infrastructure is ever rolled out.

A combined hydrogen/electric refueling solution makes some sense, where the electric charging capacity alone, is limited.

Who knows? But the aim of this development is to be ready to go, if markets move in that direction. It really won't be that long before petrol engines are not permitted to be sold in many countries.

This latest development uses a hydrogen fuel cell instead of a reciprocating engine. Again, it's a demonstration of what's possible.

Hydrogen has obvious advantages and disadvantages. It could be attractive in some markets, if a hydrogen refueling infrastructure is ever rolled out.

A combined hydrogen/electric refueling solution makes some sense, where the electric charging capacity alone, is limited.
You could have the hydrogen and the electricity being supplied down the same nozzle and cable. What could possibly go wrong...;)

Hydrogen fuel-cells (HFC) have been used to power cars since the early 1990s, but the cost of the technology makes it too expensive, even for luxury brands (fuel-cells need platinum as a catalyst). Most HFC applications use Methanol (CH3OH) as the stored fuel, because it’s pumpable, transportable, and less dangerous than hydrogen in the event of a crash. However, the process of converting back to Hydrogen also requires energy (the methanol is heated and pumped at high pressure through a catalyst), and unlike pure hydrogen fuel, this also creates CO2 emissions (from your school chemistry, CH3OH + H2O → CO2 + 3 H2 ).

Hydrogen combustion (HICE) is hard to get good power from because the hydrogen gas fuel is less dense than the vapourised petroleum spirits that are used in a petrol engine. Getting higher efficiency from a hydrogen engine involves running at higher pressures (and thus temperatures) at which point you get the creation of Nitrogen oxides (NOx) - the main cause of immediate human health problems due to traffic emissions, as the high temperatures cause airborne nitrogen gas to react with airborne oxygen. (The higher operating pressure is the reason why diesels produce more NOx than petrol - it has nothing to do with the difference in fuel)

In summary, burning anything means producing nitrogen oxides; the only completely tailpipe-clean H2 vehicle is one that uses pure hydrogen through a fuel-cell but that’s a more expensive technology than BEV, and the infrastructure costs for transport of pure hydrogen to filling stations makes EV charging look cheap...

However, the idea has some support in the USA, where the fossil-fuel industry imagines a way of keeping production up by producing hydrogen from natural gas. This is what’s known as “Grey Hydrogen”, as opposed to “Green Hydrogen” which is created by electrolysing water with electricity produced by renewable energy.

The manufacturers who are pushing Hydrogen have one thing in common: a big presence in the US car market. BEV technology is expensive for the distances that the average American drives, and States are (slowly) clamping down on gasoline emissions (mostly for NOx reasons; “Carbon Dioxide” is, predictably, a hot-button topic in the USA, so legislators never mention it).

if a hydrogen refueling infrastructure is ever rolled out
There is the problem. Don't expect developing countries to put this in, we have friends who work with Ox (google them for rural electric trucks) and the idea that you would have hydrogen storage in somewhere like Rwanda was seen as pretty much bonkers.

Good Morning All,

It seems that it is still the hydrocarbon industry promoting hydrogen - strange that...........

Not so many supporters in the RE industry.

Regards

Richard

Actually, in a link I posted in the 'Environment Thread' there are calls for hydrogen to be used as a back up fuel for power stations when there is a lack of wind, along with battery storage, so it is getting more looked at as a fuel for power generation, along with nuclear.
Can't see it happening as quickly as is required though.

Sabine arguing that, though CO2 reduction is the current priority, in a couple of hundred years we'll need to focus just on solar and wind:

Last edited:
BMW look to be committing to Hydrogen. I think this is great news.

From The Times:

“BMW is set to be the first big European carmaker to take the hydrogen plunge and go into production by the end of the decade on a fuel-cell zero emission passenger car.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...1?shareToken=8a4693f8ec87a83f8bd19cace6780625

It's always been on their radar. I remember sitting in a strategy brainstorming session with BMW team from Munich at Warwick University where we had a few offices and test cells back in the 90s. Finished the session, then they asked me to add in hydrogen to the notes.....Yes hydrogen will be the subject of huge investment and human resource in my current industry. Whether it flies anytime soon is still difficult to call.

I am really liking the look of the new VW ID2. Could this be the everyman EV that we have all been waiting for? Let’s hope that VW don’t mess it up with the production version

advertisement

Back