advertisement

Balanced v Unbalanced

I have the option of fully balanced into my integrated amp. I am able to change the volume of the balanced input so can equalise the volume of the unbalanced rca and the balanced XLR inputs. I compared many cables. Once I had chosen my favourite cable I compared the rca and xlr version of the same cable. The rca was clearly better. When I expressed surprise at this to the designer of the cable, he said that he too prefers the sound of unbalanced over balanced.

I started a thread some time ago around an article I read saying unbalanced is best. https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...comparison-of-balanced-and-unbalanced.216796/

Like the original thread linked to above and the addition of the question mark, I can't help thinking that people want an echo chamber rather than a discussion .

Well after a fair bit of listening with 3 different balanced sources now my conclusions are that, in my system (and with my ears!) at least, there is no detectable benefit in terms of lessened noise level or in sound quality if the amp is adjusted to match sound levels. In all cases the balanced input was a lot louder and, if demoing without sufficient care, I could see people mistaking that for added dynamics or some such.

Anyway in my system the balanced input is so much louder than the unbalanced that I'm not sure I'll use it unless I run out of inputs as for casual listening the amp has to be turned to a very low level, plus it's very out of balance from the other inputs which means the volume always needs adjusting when switching to it.

The thread had the opposite effect on me. On balance, I concluded from the technical opinions expressed, that balanced was an unnecessary folderol in the domestic setting. Then I went out and bought a balanced analogue preamp and turned my main system back to fully balanced again. Everything. Just shows you how irrational we can be, though I’d never admit it....

One thing you can rely on with PFM is that you'll get a full range of opinions (some educated, some not)! The right answer (for my context anyway) was in this thread though i.e. for short runs and in a domestic setting it'll make no difference in quality but might well be louder.

I wouldn't go out of my way to find sources with a balanced output although oddly I have ended up with 3 of them in a pretty short timescale however that was because I needed a few more CD players and DACs and several of those happened to have those (although the one I intend using in the system with the amp with a balanced input doesn't).

I chose my present pre+power combo for its sound (and the fact I could afford it, of course). It so happens that this combo sounds better balanced since it is fully balanced in its workings. At the time my DAC had balanced outputs so I used them instead after the changeover (the previous pre was an MFA Classic that sounds good on both balanced and unbalanced).

I now look for sources that have quality balanced outputs.

Apart from the sound in my set up, I love the locking child and cleaning lady proof plugs and sockets.

I chose my present pre+power combo for its sound (and the fact I could afford it, of course). It so happens that this combo sounds better balanced since it is fully balanced in its workings. At the time my DAC had balanced outputs so I used them instead after the changeover (the previous pre was an MFA Classic that sounds good on both balanced and unbalanced).

I now look for sources that have quality balanced outputs.

Apart from the sound in my set up, I love the locking child and cleaning lady proof plugs and sockets.
I have to admit to myself that it’s probably the XLR connectors that are the attraction. You’ll never wreck a phono plug again by moving stuff on the rack, though you might just pull the whole box onto the floor!
I’ve probably discounted even considering CJ stuff because they never used balanced topology. As Steve has observed, once you start acquiring components with balanced connections, you can find yourself drawn to thinking “I better get the rest of the system balanced, you know, just to be consistent”.

I have to admit to myself that it’s probably the XLR connectors that are the attraction. You’ll never wreck a phono plug again by moving stuff on the rack, though you might just pull the whole box onto the floor!
I’ve probably discounted even considering CJ stuff because they never used balanced topology. As Steve has observed, once you start acquiring with balanced connections, you can find yourself drawn to thinking “I better get the rest of the system balanced, you know, just to be consistent”.
Nothing in the system is balanced-only - I like to leave future options open. Only the Cambridge BLURAY player is unbalanced-only and its days here are numbered ... because I no longer have a projector and screen - with my sight mkv on the Mac makes more sense and de-clutters the room.

I have to admit to myself that it’s probably the XLR connectors that are the attraction.

They're also the practical upside for me - it is a nicer, more positive connection. Especially if, like me, you're used to and like the DIN connections Naim use.

My heart since when I look round the back an expensive component and see cheap chassis mounted phono sockets, not even the bolted rear panel versions used. Experience tells me the plastic moulding and soldered connection will eventually break with repeated plugging and unplugging.

Quick additional balanced question - if using a balanced headphone set-up is it necessary to use a balanced source to get the best out of it?

advertisement

Back