advertisement

Balance problem with cd player

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hi folks.

We've got a cd player that seems to have a problem with balance. I've tried connecting it to a number of different amps and used different interconnects just to see where the problem lies, and it's definitely the cd player.

Basically, one channel (left) is noticably louder than the other, pulling the 'image' (if that word is okay to use round here) off to the left speaker. Both channels are otherwise fine (as far as I can tell - maybe the quieter channel has relatively lighter bass, difficult to judge if that's a volume thing or a clue!).

Can anyone knowledgable in such things suggest what might have gone wrong in the player to cause things to be imbalanced like this. As far as I can recall it wasn't like this before, so it's as if something has changed - either something has failed (or is on the way out) or there's a mystical built-in balance that the manual doesn't mention.

Any thoughts? Otherwise it's likely off to a dealer for an investigation, but perhaps it's something really straightforward I can fix or alter myself...??

Has anyone come across a problem like this in any cd player before?

Ta,

jtc

Have you tried swapping the interconnect channels to confirm that the opposite speaker gets louder?

Tried everything that you'd expect =- interconnects, swapping speakers (in case it was a speaker fault), amps, cable dressing, you name it.

Basically, swapping L->L, R->R (cd output->amp intput) for L->R, R->L swaps the problem so that it's now biased towards the right speaker.

jtc

Really silly thought - I don't know what your CD player is, but I'm sure I've seen one with a balance pot at the back...

I only wish it were!

Nope, nothing so fancy as a balance pot. I'm going to run it past my dealer and see what he comes up with...

Ta,

jtc

advertisement

Back