advertisement

Backup system for my holiday

JemHayward

pfm Member
I'm off to Spain, and this is not a photographic trip, just a chill out holiday, so I'm not taking a laptop etc. Not sure how many pictures I will take, but probably not that many.

I went onto Amazon to get some spare SD cards, and 64GB are good value now, so I bought two. I then decided that without a backup system I'd be paranoid, so I decided that I would take my Colourspace Hyperdrive backup unit. Then I tried reading my new 64GB cards and it can't read them as it only knows about FAT32, not Ex-FAT.
After a bit of panic, I discovered a USB-C card reader that would attach to my Samsung A10 phone:
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RQLF6M8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This takes SD and Micro SD cards - will read 64GB cards and has USB sockets - I attached a USB SSD drive, and installed the free Android app x-plore file manager. I can now transfer images from my SD card to the SSD drive via my phone and it's fast and very portable.

May not try editing the images on my phone.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Nooo... this is a holiday (not a photographic trip), so I don't want 'normal life' intruding - also, to use Lightroom, I need an internet connection, as I found in the wilds of Ireland last year... plenty to do in the evenings in Marbella and photo editing (me) and candycrush (her) are not two of them!

I use my laptop to backup photos when on a trip. I tend to use it to do some editing when I'm away as well.

A few paranoid years ago, I bought a WiFi enabled SD card for my 5D3. Paired with my iPhone, the images were quickly transferred, then backed up elsewhere too. A few minor bugs, but worked fine really.

Probably should have brought my laptop, as we're under lockdown in Spain, and I've taken fewer images than I would do when at home and working. So I could have processed them all and deleted the duff ones, and probably end up with only a handful of useable images, if any at all, as we didn't get up into the hills or exploring other towns as we had intended.

Probably should have brought my laptop, as we're under lockdown in Spain, and I've taken fewer images than I would do when at home and working. So I could have processed them all and deleted the duff ones, and probably end up with only a handful of useable images, if any at all, as we didn't get up into the hills or exploring other towns as we had intended.
Oh that's frustrating - I guess you may be there some time. I took my laptop to Kruger together with an old HDD for Time Machine backups which I did every couple of days. With the second SD card in each camera set to backup I had 2 or 3 copies of photos at all times and felt better for it. Also now in lockdown (France) possibly for the next 3 or 4 weeks so should get time for some processing.

ps I have just got Lightroom Classic - this doesn't need an internet connection and I used it offline exclusively in Kruger (where there is near zero internet). But not sure the difference between that and Lightroom.

I have an i7 16GB microsoft surface pro with 256GB SSD, which is light enough to take most trips as it only weighs about 800g and use lightroom classic as its desktop based, whilst Lightroomm cc is cloud based. I have an XQD/SD card reader and plenty of cards and usually a couple of 500GB external SSDs, which weigh very little, to back up the keepers. The rest remain on the cards until I get home.

When on a trip I have a pair of 64GB thumb drives that I copy the RAW files to each day from the laptop. When travelling, the thumb drives are kept separately from the laptop, one in a wallet hung from my neck alongside my passport and a credit card (a paranoia wallet), one in a suitcase and a full set of images on the laptop. I do not worry about the updates made to the images but I do copy the Lightroom catalog to the thumb drives after each days editing. However I do not lose sleep if I cannot merge the catalog back into the master catalog as I am prepared to re edit the images if needed.

Not great. Will you be able to get back?

Got back on Friday - a day early - and paid more for our return flight that we'd spent on the return tickets and parking! We could have stayed another ten days, but I'd have missed my chemo appointment - which I'm not looking forward to, but is an evil necessity.

Got back on Friday - a day early - and paid more for our return flight that we'd spent on the return tickets and parking! We could have stayed another ten days, but I'd have missed my chemo appointment - which I'm not looking forward to, but is an evil necessity.

that they have postponed for a week and they may change my care plan on Monday... every day is different at the moment!

advertisement

Back