advertisement

Back on the old Linn Karousel...

Hello Mr Pig, if we ignore some of the more childish quips knocking around, there is I think some good advice. IME the Rega/LP12 combination did lack a little of the life and 'enthusiasm' that technically inferior combinations such as an LP12/ LVX-Plus or Akito did display. I have no idea why, and I dare say Linn don't either, but it is what I heard. This fits in with LP12 itself, it seems to work well in spite of itself. In any event, my advice would be to 'hold you nose' and lend an ear to (for example) an a modern LP12/Akito and see what you think. It may surprise you.There again, it might not! Best of luck.

I have a suspicion that may be why you never really got on with the Rega. The Mana made it sound horribly thin and anemic.

Been down that road. Tried it on less Mana, no Mana and a Mana Wall Shelf. Also tried board instead of the glass. There's a big difference between the way one or two levels of Mana sounds and a big pile of it. Phase Lots sounded better than anything else.

I've tried a lot of things with the Rega, it's been over two years. Trust me, if I could get it to do what I want it would be staying.

Hi,
Just for interest´s sake, do others find that Mana makes a Rega deck sound anaemic and thin while under an LP12, to me at least, it has quite the opposite effect. I sold my Planar 3 years before I bought my Mana.

J ust for interest´s sake, do others find that Mana makes a Rega deck sound anemic and thin while under an LP12, to me at least, it has quite the opposite effect.

Mana has the ability to make almost anything sound thin and harsh. Not just if it's not set up quite right but if it's not used sympathetically. You need certain amounts of the right bits in the right places to get balanced results.

Where the LP12 scores is in the fact it is really tolerant and sounds at least ok on pretty much any Mana. A lone table or shelf, no problem. Things like CD players, amps are not like that and neither is the RP10. It sounded poor on a Mana wall shelf on its own and not a lot better with a couple of levels added but the Phase Fourteen pile is the best thing I tried it on.

I thought it might sound better on light weight table or shelf but it didn't. Although a pile of Mana is an extremely heavy support, it doesn't behave like one.

Hi,
Just for interest´s sake, do others find that Mana makes a Rega deck sound anaemic and thin while under an LP12, to me at least, it has quite the opposite effect. I sold my Planar 3 years before I bought my Mana.
Not in my experience :)
I have had a full phat lp12 on phase 7
And now a planar 3 on phase 4 plus it has a mana clamp instead of the big feet
It doesn’t sound thin or anaemic

I have no idea why, and I dare say Linn don't either.
It's a shame some of the old Linn employees have never publically shared their experiences. I think many people under estimate the time and effort that's gone into the LP12 over the decades. Also think these individuals have understood a lot more than they are often given credit for.

Well thankfully I know and have used Mana for 20 years and although I’ll never say never, I’m sure my LP12 will leave my house 5 minutes before my Mana. What’s a video recorder for ? Is it like a gramophone ?

So the deck arrived today, pretty much exactly what you get in the mechanics kit. All good.

Getting a Majik PSU and motor off Johnnie/Audio Origami, basic but it'll get the deck up and running and I can look at alternatives later.

Just need a sub-chassis and armboard, and few bits like a belt guide etc. Hopefully get it built up in a few weeks.

So the deck arrived today, pretty much exactly what you get in the mechanics kit. All good.

Getting a Majik PSU and motor off Johnnie/Audio Origami, basic but it'll get the deck up and running and I can look at alternatives later.

Just need a sub-chassis and armboard, and few bits like a belt guide etc. Hopefully get it built up in a few weeks.
I have a Valhalla here that you could use until you can get something better!

Another vote here for the Mober subchassis.
One piece. Very well made, very lively sound, very reasonably priced.
The plug for Ittok armrest hole looks like there is no hole.

I have a Valhalla here that you could use until you can get something better!

That's a very kind offer, thank you. I'll hopefully pick up the Majik supply tonight and that'll do me just now. I can't see me staying with it but we'll see. It depends on how hard the drop from RP10 performance is! ;0)

A forum friend bought a new Majik LP12 last year (also with Cirkus bearing) for a small second system. He loves it even though he also has a near top-spec LP12 in the main system.

The really old LP12, with simple capacitor PSU and a Basik arm or the like, had something. They had a fully bouncy sound later decks lack. As you gain more in Hi-Fi terms you can loose things in musical involvement.

As mentioned by another member, this month's HiFi Choice compared the Majik LP12, P10, SL-1200G and a couple of others.

Couple of comments I thought were relevant to your quest...

Majik LP12
"It does most of the good things that all the other contenders do, but tends to push the emotional element of the song that little bit further. Paul McCartney's voice seems more expressive than the rest, and the bass guitar and piano work evoke a more profound sense of mood. With the technics for example, listening to it is a dazzling hi-fi experience, whereas with the Linn - which is clearly inferior in terms of fine detail resolution - it somehow manages to sound more poignant."

"For such an old design, the new Majik LP12 sounds surprisingly modern. It's nowhere near as soft and rounded as it used to be, but still retains just enough of the traditional Sondek character for it to charm listeners. The result is a big, confident and enjoyable sound that's tonally still a little on the warm side."

P10
"This makes it an enjoyable listen, but some might think it a little too analytical."

"It's not a turntable that makes everything sound fat, sweet and warm - that's for sure. This results in both good and bad consequences; the Elgar is a vibrant listen with lots of lovely spatial and timing information. It gives an intricate and quite intense rendition. Yet with the Lou Donaldson track, it doesn't groove quite as well as the Linn, Origin Live and Technics."

advertisement

Back