advertisement

Back on the old Linn Karousel...

You kept telling yourself it was crap, preferring the consistency of CD. Amazing how many Linnies are starting to re-think there must be something in this vinyl lark after all.
IMG-20210619-195315.jpg

Never heard a Rega arm on an LP12 but would you say that the key approach to the LP12 design is to get every component to vibrate together in a harmonious way, including the arm?

I have a Pro-ject Xtension 10 to which I fitted a 12" The Wand arm, vast upgrade.
Yet the 9" version of my Pro-ject arm was fitted by Linn their LP12 Majik model.

One manufacturer with 'components vibrating together in a harmonious way' is like saying why do VW use Bosch components and not make/use their own.

Both Linn and Rega have always bought in cartridges and arms and branded them as their own.

But it's a Linn K9/18 so it must be special, nope its just a rebadged Audio Technica.

I would have imagined servicing to be carried out by a dealer not by Rega themselves. I'm surprised you didn't tackle it yourself with your TT knowledge, after all s'easy to change belts and re-lube the bearing (I even managed it myself :eek:). Not sure the EBLT's were available last December but anyways as you say time to move on.

No, the deck went down to Rega. I found an azimuth error on it and Rega ordered to service the deck free of charge and sort out any issues. Which they did.

Have you still got your Mana ?

Yes. The deck is phase sixteen or something, not in the house so can't count it.

I had an Ittok for years. Really impressive on the right music but didn't flatter less well produced records. The Rega arms do and are almost as good on cleaner recordings.

[QUOTE="misterdog, post: 4392576, member: 19913"Both Linn and Rega have always bought in cartridges and arms and branded them as their own.

Nah, Rega went their own way in '87.[/QUOTE]
RB100 should get a mention, as it is described as being made with Goldring (made by Goldring to a Rega design/idea, more like), starting in April '85 according to Rega's timeline.

April 83 for RB300 (he did say 'cartridges and arms').

It pays to be pernickety sometimes.

To be honest, I wasn't that bothered about it. I'd shimmed the base of the arm but Paul Darwin offered to get it checked out. I figured I wanted it to be right should I sell it. Thing is, very few people check azimuth so good chance that any deck you buy could be out. Every single deck I've checked has been out!

Yes. The deck is phase sixteen or something, not in the house so can't count it.

I have a suspicion that may be why you never really got on with the Rega. I had a P9 and it sounded far better just sitting flat on the floor than on the Mana. The Mana made it sound horribly thin and anaemic. It just didn’t work at all to my ears. Very clean, fast and detailed, but just small and lacking scale/heft.

I’m guess the OP may have tried the TT on a different platform but this is a Hifi forum so anything is possible;)

I can’t begin to imagine what phase 16 mana looks like or why anyone would want it in their house.

Perhaps because he believes it the best base he has heard for a Linn as do I. Maintaining Phase 16 would be a full time job for me, of course and I stopped at 3.

advertisement

Back