advertisement

B & W speakers refurb

adamdea

You are not a sound quality evaluation device
I have just sort of inherited a paid of 805 Nautilus speakers. I would guess they date from around 2000 and have had their tweaters thoroughly squashed in by kids.

I wondered whether i should have them repaired by someone. any ideas? Send them to B & W? Some one else? Is it likely that the crossovers would need any work (caps out of spec?) at that vintage?

My B&Ws are about thirty years old, I have no reason whatsoever to suspect the crossover caps need to be replaced. Why should yours?

My B&Ws are about thirty years old, I have no reason whatsoever to suspect the crossover caps need to be replaced. Why should yours?
Don't know. They have a finite lifespan, but I'm not sure where on a scale of 10 years to heat death of the universe that might be.

If they are electrolytic types they will likely have drifted quite a distance from original specification.

If they are electrolytic types they will likely have drifted quite a distance from original specification.

I have no intention of desoldering them from the crossovers and individually testing each with an accurate capacitance meter (which I don't have anyway) to find out. And even then they might be found to still be perfectly good.

That's not to say that I would be entirely averse to remaking crossovers with carefully chosen high-quality close-toleranced matched replacement caps and stiffing huge inductors as a project, but I'd have to do four of them... (provided I don't add any more to the set I already have). Active crossovers would probably be a better way of going about things here, I have suitable amplification already. :)

B&W were very helpful on the phone when I needed to replace my tweeters, including sending fitting instructions with the replacement units. Give them a call...

B&W were very helpful on the phone when I needed to replace my tweeters, including sending fitting instructions with the replacement units. Give them a call...
Thanks. Sounds like the best solution.

advertisement

Back